See Cats files
The elevated cat feeders they are, year after year, the favorites of the keepers of these animals around the world. Many people may believe that this type of product is succeeding only for aesthetic reasons, but the truth is that there are many advantages of increasing the height of the cat feeder.
If you still don't know what the benefits of raising the food plate are, we invite you to continue reading this AnimalWised article. Here you will find essential tips for choosing the best cat feeder and you will also be able to know the real benefits of raised cat feeder. ¿We started?You may also be interested in: Cat Feeders - Types and how to choose the best Index
- How to choose the best cat feeder?
- Height of the cat feeder, what is the ideal?
- Advantages of raising the cat feeder
How to choose the best cat feeder?
As with everything in life, there is no single feeder that is ideal for all cats. After all, each cat has different characteristics, preferences, and needs, as well as a unique personality. Therefore, it is up to each person to know how to recognize these peculiarities of their kitten to provide the accessories, toys and care that guarantee an excellent quality of life..
To choose the most suitable cat feeder for yours, keep in mind the following aspects:
- Size and age of your cat. All accessories and utensils must be appropriate for each cat's size, physique, and age. If you have a large, robust cat, such as a Maine Coon, the ideal feeder will need to be larger than the more common pet food jars, which are made primarily for small cats. And if your cat is still a puppy, it will be much easier and more comfortable for him to eat from a compact and shallow container. Basically, the size and depth of the feeder should be equivalent to the physique of the cat and the amount of food and water (in the case of the feeder) that needs to be consumed daily..
- Type of muzzle of your cat. Some cat breeds are characterized by having a flatter muzzle, such as Persian cats. For these cases, we recommend a shallow feeder that has concave edges and a wide "mouth". Keep in mind that narrower cat food bowls are often very uncomfortable for these breeds as they can put pressure on the head and make it easier for the cat to stain its entire face while eating.
- Kind of food. You should also consider what your cat eats to choose the most suitable feeder. Cat food is generally not oversized and fits inside the bowl. However, if you decide to offer a BARF diet to your cat, based on the consumption of natural and biologically appropriate foods, this type of food may be more voluminous and require a wider and deeper feeder than an industrialized food..
- Feeder material. We also recommend giving preference to a cat litter made of reinforced materials that are easy to clean. This type of product offers a longer shelf life and simplifies the cleaning process. Plastic feeders are inexpensive and easy to wash, but they tend to absorb odors and can cause irritation or allergies to cats' skin and mucous membranes. On the other hand, glass and ceramics They are hypoallergenic and ideal to avoid the impregnation of unpleasant odors, however, they must be handled with great care. A very favorable alternative is to opt for feeders of stainless steel, since they are resistant, very easy to wash and do not cause adverse reactions in animals.
Height of the cat feeder, what is the ideal?
When raising the cat feeder it is essential to ensure that the feeding container is at the same height as the kitten's elbow. Otherwise, the cat will continue to exert inappropriate and unnecessary effort at feeding time, negatively affecting the spine and joints..
Therefore, regardless of whether you decide to purchase a raised cat feeder from an animal accessories store or choose to make your own feeder, we recommend that you take measurements on your cat to ensure that the new feeder does not affect their well-being..
To make your own homemade raised cat feeder, don't miss this video.
Advantages of raising the cat feeder
After these basic tips, we are ready to talk about the advantages of the raised cat feeder. First of all, you should pay attention to the difference in posture of eating cats in a normal feeding bowl and in a suspended feeder.
Improves cat posture when eating
Traditional feeders are placed directly on the ground, ¿true? Then, the cat is forced to noticeably flex the spine and legs to feed in this way. Then the cats end up eating practically sitting with their heads down or standing up, flexing their legs and, again, with their necks fully tilted towards the feeder.
In these positions, the animal's digestive tract will be curved and the stomach will be exposed a Pressure considerable, compressing. This impairs the digestive process and increases the risk of indigestion, stomach upset, nausea, and the development of digestive problems, such as gas or vomiting. Also, when the cat's head and mouth are lower than its stomach (neck tilted toward the bowl on the floor), the cat is more likely to have reflux, choke, or even vomit shortly after eating..
The kitten's joints and spine also suffer with these postures. A cat that eats practically seated has a completely curved spine, especially in the lumbar region and at the junction of the neck and back. In addition, the joints suffer constant and unnecessary wear, since they remain flexed, bear a good part of the weight of the animal and, finally, can be twisted outwards..
All of the above can be avoided by placing the feeder at the appropriate height, as we have indicated in the previous section. The raised feeder allows it to be placed at the same height as the cat's elbow. In this way, the cat does not need to stoop, lowering the neck or twisting the spine to ingest food. Your digestive tract remains in the proper position, in which your stomach, esophagus, and mouth are aligned.
Therefore, one of the great advantages of raising the cat feeder is to improve the posture of the animal during feeding, which allows to prevent spinal problems and digestive disorders. This is also a very healthy alternative for your kitty's joints, as it prevents them from being exposed to the daily wear and tear mentioned above..
While this benefits all cats, it is particularly important for older cats and those that have already been diagnosed with arthritis, osteoarthritis, or other conditions that directly affect the joints and / or spine..
Prevents food from being contaminated
This may seem redundant, but another key benefit of increasing the height of the cat feeder is keeping the animal's food off the ground. When the feeder is held directly on the ground, it is more likely to come into contact with dust, foreign bodies, excess sand that the cat can spread around the house after using the litter box, impurities that can travel in any home, etc..
The supports prevent the cat's food and drink from coming into direct contact with dirt. Of course, they do not replace the need to maintain optimal hygiene at home to avoid contamination and bad odors. But, without a doubt, it helps a lot, especially when our animals are alone at home and we cannot control 24 hours a day whether or not there are foreign particles in their water and food bowls..
Now that you know the advantages of raising the cat feeder, we also invite you to consult this other article on Environmental enrichment in cats.