See Dogs files
When a dog vomits black or dark brown it indicates that is vomiting blood, what is known as hematemesis, something that alarms guardians a lot and that can be due to something very serious. The most common causes in dogs are erosions or ulcers in the gastrointestinal tract or the use of drugs such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or dexamethasone. Other causes are diseases in organs such as the kidneys, liver, lung and pancreas or tumors, among others..
In this AnimalWised article we will talk about the causes that cause a dog vomit black, as well as their treatments.You may also be interested in: Black gums in dogs - Causes and what to do Index
- Why does my dog vomit black?
- Symptoms of hematemesis in dogs
- Diagnosis of black vomit in dogs
- Treatment of black vomit in dogs
Why does my dog vomit black?
The causes of hematemesis or bloody vomiting in dogs can be very diverse, although they usually indicate that a damage to the gastrointestinal tract.
Specifically, if what you vomit is red blood, it is most likely caused by some damage in the first sections of the digestive tract, specifically the mouth, esophagus or in some cases, stomach.
On the other hand, if you wonder why my dog vomits dark brown color indicates that the blood is older or that it is somewhat digested, looking like black coffee beans, and the causes may be:
- Ulcer or erosion of the gastrointestinal tract (very common).
- Foreign bodies in the digestive tract.
- Ingestion of bones.
- Tumors: carcinoma, lymphoma, leiomyoma.
- Pythiosis: in young dogs of the southeastern United States.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Drugs: NSAIDs or glucocorticoids (dexamethasone).
- Liver disease.
- Renal disease.
- Hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease).
- Acute gastritis.
- Acute hemorrhagic diarrheal syndrome.
- Gastric polyps.
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) or dysfunction.
- Clotting factor deficiency.
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC).
- Extradigestive diseases: torsion of a lung lobe or lung tumor.
For more information, check out this other article on ¿Why does my dog vomit blood?
Symptoms of hematemesis in dogs
In addition to the dark coloration of the vomit, a dog that vomits blood may have other clinical signs at the same time as:
- Blackish stools.
- Abdominal pain.
Depending on the original disease, clinical signs may be accompanied by:
- Polyuria-polydipsia, uremia, and weight loss in kidney disease.
- Jaundice, loss of appetite, and malaise in liver disease.
- Weight loss and weakness in tumors.
- More abdominal pain in pancreatitis.
- Bloody diarrhea in acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome.
- Difficulty and respiratory signs if there is pathology in the lung.
- Other bleeding and haemorrhages in cases of thrombocytopenia or coagulopathies.
Diagnosis of black vomit in dogs
Because a black vomit can be caused by various intra or extra gastrointestinal pathologies in the dog, the diagnosis should go ruling out pathologies, starting with the simplest, such as analytics, to the most complex, which would be endoscopic or imaging techniques. In summary, to diagnose the cause of black vomiting in the dog, the following must be done:
- Blood analysis and biochemistry: performance of a blood test and biochemistry to look for changes in the hemogram, anemia due to bleeding, azotemia (increased urea and creatinine) in kidney disease or alteration of liver enzymes if there is pathology in the liver or bile ducts.
- Urine and stool analysis: urine and stool analysis is also recommended.
- Platelet count: assess whether there is a coagulopathy with a platelet count and measurement of the bleeding time of the oral mucosa.
- Ultrasound: also look for pancreatitis, with specific tests and ultrasound.
- Look for signs of poisoning: find out if poisoning has occurred.
- X-rays: Assess the state of the respiratory system and lungs using X-rays to determine if the bleeding is coming from there.
- Endoscopy or gastroscopy: perform an endoscopy or gastroscopy to look for lesions and bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract, as well as an abdominal ultrasound to locate foreign bodies, masses or organic alteration indicative of disease.
- Endoscopy of the trachea: Endoscopy of the trachea and choanas to look for hidden respiratory bleeding may also be helpful.
Treatment of black vomit in dogs
To perform a correct treatment, it is necessary to determine the hematocrit and total protein concentration to assess the danger of hypovolemic shock and if a blood transfusion. On the one hand, you will be administered a symptomatic treatment, which includes fluid therapy to rehydrate the dog, antiemetics, antacids and appetite stimulants.
On the other hand, if there is any specific disease, such as kidney, liver or pancreatic disease, a specific treatment for each pathology. Chemotherapy and / or surgery will be necessary in cases of tumors.
Occasionally, the treatment of hematemesis will require a surgery to treat internal damage.
Prognosis of black vomit in dogs
As has been seen, that a dog vomits dark in color indicates that it is vomiting blood, and the diseases that can cause it are very varied, from damage by certain drugs to more serious and worrying diseases such as tumors. Because of this, it must take the dog quickly to the vet so they can examine it and find the problem before it may be too late. In this way, the forecast is reserved.
This article is merely informative, at AnimalWised.com we do not have the power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the vet in the event that it presents any type of condition or discomfort.