See Dogs files
When we decide adopt a dog The first thing we must do is prepare our house for your arrival, as well as get all the arsenal of basic utensils for your care. Once the mandatory vaccinations have been given and the veterinarian's approval has been obtained, we can begin to educate our dog to fulfill its needs outside the home. To do this, we will have to get the most suitable necklace for him.
Whether you are at this point or if you have realized that the collar you bought your dog does not like or does not favor his training, you have come to the right place. At AnimalWised we explain one by one the types of dog collars, how to use them and for which dogs are they recommended.You may also be interested in: Types of dog leashes Index
- Standard collar, ideal for puppies
- Half-Fork Collar, Used for Agility
- Hanging collar
- Spike necklace
- Head necklace
- Harness, the most popular
Standard collar, ideal for puppies
The standard collar is one that only grips the dog's neck and, in general, is made of leather or nylon. Although the leather ones are more elegant and sophisticated than the nylon ones, the latter are much more resistant to climatic changes, such as water or humidity. They are also suitable for machine washing, so they are much more comfortable than leather ones..
Both types of collars are found with a buckle closure or hard plastic hook, the latter being much faster and more comfortable to fasten, and self-adjusting so that it is fully adapted to the dog's neck. Finally, we find collars of different thicknesses, the wider ones being the most recommended for puppies..
When placing the standard collar on your dog, you must bear in mind the following recommendations:
- Between the collar and the neck of your dog must fit a finger, no more no less. If the collar is too tight, it can hurt your dog, while if it is too loose it can take it off over his head during outings.
- The necklace size. Yes, there are different sizes depending on the size of the dog. So, it is best to take your dog to the accessory store to try on the collar before buying..
This type of collars are ideal for puppies that are preparing to carry out their first walks or for very well trained dogs. Remember that for the puppy the use of a collar is something totally new and it needs, first, to get used to wearing it. It will be much easier for him to adapt to a standard collar than to a harness, because it is less obtrusive and hardly noticeable. Once accustomed, we can move on to using a harness if we see that our dog pulls a lot on the leash. In this sense, neck collars are not nothing recommended for dogs that tend to jerk during walks, as they can harm you and cause breathing problems.
Half-Fork Collar, Used for Agility
The semi-fork collars are those that they close a little when the dog pulls on the leash, thus generating a negative stimulus in the dog. This type of collars should not exceed a diameter smaller than that of our dog's neck, so it would not have to exceed the limit of damaging it or causing problems in its trachea.
In general, we find them made of nylon or metal, the former being less harmful than the latter. When placing this type of necklace, we must take into account the following tips:
- If we adjust the collar to the exact diameter of the neck of our dog, it will not cause any damage.
- If the diameter of the half-fork collar is larger than the dog's neck, it will act as a standard collar.
- While if we adjust the collar so that its diameter is smaller than that of the dog, it will work as a choke collar, not recommended..
These types of necklaces are usually used by professional trainers or for the Agility practice. For beginner or inexperienced owners in canine education, the use of this type of collar is not recommended, since misused it can considerably damage the animal. Lastly, not all breeds are suitable for half-fork collars. Professionals recommend them for medium and large breeds with moderate strength, dogs with a high degree of strength should not wear this type of collars. Breeds such as the American Pit Bull Terrier, very strong, will continue to pull on the leash even if they receive the negative stimulus that the collar sends them, causing them to develop respiratory problems.
Hanging necklaces are usually made up of a metal chain and a ring at each end. When passing one of the ends through the opposite ring, we form a loop with the collar that we will have to pass through the dog's head. As they are created, when the dog pulls on the leash, the collar exerts a pressure on his neck at the same level as the pull. That is, if the dog pulls very hard, the collar will drown our dog with the same force..
This type of necklaces are used to cause serious damage in the trachea of dogs, causing respiratory problems and, in the worst cases, suffocation.
The hanging necklaces they are not recommended for no use. Veterinarians and professional trainers advise using semi-fork collars under supervision, standard collars or harness to train our dogs or walk.
Spike necklaces are usually made of metal, although we can also find them made of plastic. They are made up of a chain that surrounds the neck and spikes distributed around the entire interior perimeter, pointing towards the animal's skin. In this way, when the barrel is pulled from the leash, the spikes press its neck, even reaching generate serious injuries at.
Both the spike collar and the choke collar are designed to train the dog through negative reinforcement and punishment, totally wrong practices that also border on torture. Professionals and veterinarians argue that the best way to educate a pet is always through positive reinforcement and rewards. A dog that is rewarded for doing something well is likely to learn much faster and be happier..
Although the half-fork collar also trains the dog through negative stimuli, used properly it does not cause physical harm to the dog, the other two types do. That is why we recommend the use of the semi-fork collar only for professional trainers and owners experienced in the practice of Agility..
As with the choke collar, the spike collar not recommended for any use. If you consider that this type of collar is the only one that can help you train your dog, from AnimalWised we advise you to go to a professional trainer so that he can use it. Remember that he will know how to use it so as not to harm your dog.
The head collar grabs the neck, just below the skull, and the muzzle. The strap is attached to the lower part of the muzzle in order to control the direction of the animal. They are usually made of nylon and are often mistaken for muzzles.
When placing it, you should follow the following tips:
- As with the standard collar, there should be one finger between the neck area and the collar.
- Use the head collar only for outings, do not leave it on at home or without your supervision because it could hurt.
Although apparently it is not a harmful or annoying collar, the truth is that dogs find it difficult to adapt to its use due to its structure. They are not comfortable and, until they get used to it, they may not want to walk or may be crestfallen. Likewise, if it is not used correctly, it can cause damage to the spine, so we recommend consulting with your veterinarian before purchasing this type of collar for dogs..
These types of collars are used on dogs that have not been trained and tend to pull hard on the leash during outings. Not because it helps to educate him, but because the structure of the collar does not allow the dog to pull it. Thus, it can favor training but does not ensure that the animal internalizes said education; when changing the collar it is possible that the pulls will resume. We do not recommend the use of head collars for toy or small dogs.
Harness, the most popular
The harness is the favorite type of collar for most owners and veterinarians. It does not harm the animal and offers us a variety of collars, each one designed to cover a specific function. We can find them made of both nylon and leather, the former being more comfortable and easy to clean. All harnesses are self-adjusting and, in general, are made up of wide straps to favor the comfort of the dog..
We distinguish the following types of harnesses:
Within this group we find the Easy Walk Harness, the Sense-ible Harness and the Merhi-long Harness. All of them are designed to train the dog to walk by our side, without pulling the leash, running or jumping. They do not cause suffocation in the animal if it pulls or coughs.
- Easy Walk Harness. The ribbons can be wide or narrow, the area of the collar that covers the trunk starts at the withers and, just above the front legs, another ribbon comes out that rests on the chest, not the windpipe. In this way the dog cannot drown. Of course, it usually fits snugly against the animal's body and, when pulling, it can exert slight pressure on the front legs. It has several plastic closures in the different parts of the necklace.
- Sense-ible harness. The structure is identical to the previous harness, the difference is that, being newer, they only have a single closure, the straps are wider and the possibilities of putting pressure on the animal are minimal.
- Merhi-long harness. Also considered as a work harness, it has a padding system that reduces the chances of damaging the dog to 0. Especially the easy walk harness, by creating a small pressure on the legs, can cause friction damage, a risk that is reduced with the merhi-long. This type of collar usually has a similar structure to the previous ones but with the advantage of providing padded straps at key points (chest / neck and cross area). You can buy the Merhi-long harness in a variety of sizes larger than the rest of harnesses, ideal for dogs with highly developed muscles or large ones, they are highly recommended for canicross, dog-trekking and bikejorning..
The first two types of anti-shoot harness are created to hook the leash around the chest area, controlling the direction of the dog. The third, takes the strap in the area of the cross. All three are recommended for adult dogs that are still pulling on the leash and for adolescent dogs that are in the process of training..
The EzyDog Quick Fit Harness it is the typical stroller harness, quick donning, adjustable and with a single plastic closure. It has several ribbons of moderate thickness that perfectly cover the chest and forelegs area. In general, they usually have light padding on the chest and the area of the dog's cross that favor the comfort and convenience of the animal. They are ideal for calm, well-behaved dogs and calm outings in which we want to enjoy a walk with our companion next to us. We recommend that you buy your harness in Miscota, where you will find high quality products.
Very similar to the merhi-long harness, there is a whole range of work harnesses designed to meet the needs of different activities and practices. In case you need this type of harness, you should consult with the specialized personnel of your nearest pet store to advise you and provide the one you need. Thus, we find harnesses for police dogs, for guide dogs, for practicing canicross (such as the aforementioned merhi-long), etc..Image: petsonline.nl (easy walk harness)