See Dogs files
It is very common for us to consider offering homemade food to our dogs, however, we must be careful to avoid prohibited foods, which include chocolate. These foods can be harmful to your health and we must eliminate them from your diet.
If you have observed your dog eating chocolate, do not be alarmed, you should know that depending on the amount of chocolate, nothing may happen to him, but in cases where it is offered regularly, it can harm him. In this AnimalWised article we will answer your question about ¿chocolate can be given to dogs? ¡Find out!You may also be interested: Can cats eat chocolate? Index
- Can I give chocolate to my dog? What can you do?
- What if I give my dog chocolate sometimes?
- Damage caused by chocolate
- What should I do if my dog has eaten chocolate?
- Treatment to apply
Can I give chocolate to my dog? What can you do?
In the digestive system of the human being we find enzymes that serve to metabolize and synthesize certain foods, called Cytochrome P450 that are not present in the digestive system of dogs.
They do not have enzymes to metabolize chocolate and they are unable to digest the theobromine and caffeine present in cocoa. It could be considered a poison that, in slight doses does nothing, but in large quantities it damages your body and even in some cases causes an intoxication. Offering chocolate in large doses is so harmful to our dog that it can seriously poison him, leading him to death, although it is not usual..
Obviously the same amount will not have the same impact on a Chihuahua dog as on a Pitbull or a Labrador, but in any case we could observe symptoms that something is not right. Like chocolate, other foods such as mate and coffee are not good for our dogs, let's avoid them.
What if I give my dog chocolate sometimes?
It is very likely that your dog looks at you with pity when you eat this product, because its smell is very appetizing, but even if he seems to want it or someone suggests, "¿may l?", you should not offer chocolate to your dog in no case. Modifying the habit of sharing everything we eat with our dog is a great step towards their well-being and an improvement in their health.
Do not forget that there are some products like the carob which has a taste and texture very similar to chocolate. In addition, it is good for dogs and can be eaten without getting intoxicated. You can find it for sale at any herbalist.
Damage caused by chocolate
If your dog has ingested chocolate, you should notice its color: whites have a lower percentage of theobromine and caffeine, while brown ones have high amounts. Remember that the causes of side effects are precisely these two components.
As a consequence of the lack of enzymes, the dog takes an average of between 1 and 2 days to digest the chocolate. During this process, if the dog has consumed too much, we can witness different effects on its body:
In the most serious cases can lead to respiratory failure or heart failure, although it is not particularly common. As we have commented previously, it will also depend on the size of the dog and the amount it has ingested.
What should I do if my dog has eaten chocolate?
Doses that a dog can withstand
According to the Merk Veterinary Manual, if your dog has consumed approximately between 28 and 29 grams of chocolate for every kilo of weight, go to your emergency vet since this dose could be lethal.
A dose of between 1.3 grams and 24 grams would be enough to present the symptoms mentioned above. Also in this case it would be recommended to go to the specialist. In both cases, a stomach wash.
¿And the puppies?
In the event that your dog is a puppy, don't hesitate for a minute, go to the veterinary center as soon as possible to avoid possible poisoning. Remember that puppies are much more sensitive and prone to suffer more from any problem related to chocolate..
Treatment to apply
A dog that has ingested a quantity of chocolate high enough to present intoxication, serious symptoms and even that dies, should go to the emergency specialist. Although there is no specific remedy or treatment for chocolate poisoning, The steps to follow are those:
- A stomach wash, which consists of removing all the contents of the stomach and cleaning it with water. A probe must be inserted and is not applicable in all cases.
- Induction to vomiting if the dog has eaten chocolate in the previous 2 hours.
- Use of benzodiazepines and barbiturates if the dog has seizures or arrhythmias.
- Administration of serum to promote urination of the dog.
Do not forget that in the most serious cases, that is, in those in which the administration of chocolate has been prolonged, it can be also present cardiomyopathy, an enlarged heart causing heart failure, abnormal heart rhythms, cardiac arrest, a heart attack, or high blood pressure.
For a dog to suffer from cardiomyopathy, it should receive approximately 15 grams of (dark) chocolate for each kilogram of weight per day. To give you an idea, a chihuahua would need half a bar of chocolate.