See Dogs files
The feed is a very widespread canine feeding option thanks to its comfort, ease of use, conservation and economic cost. Many of the dogs accept it wonderfully, but sometimes some dogs reject it or find it difficult to start eating it. If this is your case, do not worry because you will discover the causes that explain why your dog does not want to eat I think.
So, in this AnimalWised article we review why the lack of interest in this type of food is due and what we can do if our dog does not eat I think.You may also be interested in: My ferret does not want to eat I think Index
- Why doesn't my puppy want to eat I think?
- Why doesn't my adult dog eat I think?
- What to do if my dog does not want to eat I think?
- When to go to the vet if my dog does not want to eat his food?
Why doesn't my puppy want to eat I think?
Puppies should be breastfed and stay with their mother and siblings for at least the first eight weeks of life. It is not only for nutrition, but also for its future balance, since living with mother and litter is very important to forge the personality. However, from 4-5 weeks the puppy can be offered solid foods formulated specifically for this stage. Puppy food is a good option, but weaning has to be progressive, otherwise, acceptance problems may arise. These are the main causes that justify that a puppy does not eat I think:
- Inadequate transit from milk to feed, for example, if the feed is offered directly. It must be given gradually and while continuing to drink milk. Puppies should not be separated from their mother until they eat on their own and perfectly accept solid food.
- Incorrect presentation, as the puppy may not yet be ready to eat the hard feed and needs a softer texture, which can be achieved by moistening the feed.
Once the puppy leaves the milk and accepts the feed, rejections could also arise, as in adult dogs, as we explain in the next section.
Why does my adult dog not eat I think?
There are different causes that can explain why a dog does not want to eat concentrated or balanced food such as feed. The first thing is to rule out pathologies whose origin may be physical or psychological. Once verified that he is completely healthy, if you offer your dog another food, such as canned or natural food, and he eats it without problem, you may think that, simply, he does not want the feed.
However, the previous ones are not the only causes, so, below, we show the most common reasons that explain the rejection of feed:
- Bad selection, if we choose a low quality feed or that is not to the liking of the dog. Other times, the rejection occurs when you want to change to a feed formulated for a specific diet, for example, for kidney problems or to lose weight.
- Diet modification without the adaptation period, that is, if the dog is used to another diet and, suddenly, we give it the feed, it is very likely that it will reject it..
- Mixed diet, which occurs when, in addition to the feed, we give the dog, even in a small quantity, natural food or homemade food. In these cases, it is possible that he rejects the feed, as our food is more appetizing. Remember that although it seems like a small piece to us, it is possible that with it we are covering a good part of the calories that the dog needs per day, so that it will not be hungry for the feed. Establishing a mixed diet in which some days feed is offered and others homemade food is correct, as long as both types of food are well formulated and balanced to meet the nutritional needs of the animal. If, as we say, you feel that the feed does not cover your needs, it is normal for you to demand more homemade food and refuse to eat feed..
- Excess food, being important that we distinguish if the dog does not eat or if, on the contrary, it leaves food because we are giving it an excessive amount. Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding the rations and adjust them to the activity and body condition of your dog.
What to do if my dog does not want to eat I think?
These tips for your dog to accept the feed are applicable to healthy dogs. Remember that if you suspect that your dog may be suffering from any health problem, the first thing to do is always go to the vet. That said, if your dog doesn't want to eat feed, follow these tips:
- Offer the feed progressively, gradually increasing the amount given, while decreasing that of the old diet.
- Choose a quality feed, take your time to review the ingredients and find the best option for your dog based on its characteristics and life stage. At present, you can opt for a personalized feed, specially adapted to your dog, such as the one offered by Barkyn, made with natural ingredients. Barkyn is a brand of feed for dogs that works by subscription, so that every month (or the frequency of time chosen) the food adapted to your dog arrives at your home. When subscribing, you can choose between three different plans (Pop, Premium and Natura), with different percentages of meat and one of them totally free of cereals. Once the subscription has started, you will also have access to their private store, through which you can buy supplements, snacks, salmon oil, toys or wet food. If you feel like it try the feed Barkyn, We have a code with which you will get a 50% off in your first order: EXPERTOANIMAL.
- Respect the ration marked by the manufacturer. Once you get the dog to eat well, you can decrease or increase it within the margins that are indicated if the dog is losing weight or gaining weight..
- You can give it one or more times a day, also taking into account their age, but it is important that you always respect the same or similar hours. Dogs need predictability and appreciate routines.
- Do not give him other foods, especially if you must eat the feed as part of medical treatment.
- Put his feeder and wait about 15 minutes. After that time, remove it. Do not offer him more until the next feeding, in which you can give him the corresponding portion plus what he has left.
- If scrupulously following all these measures the dog still does not eat, it is necessary to go to the vet. Especially if the food you should consume is part of the treatment of a disease.
If your dog is healthy and the problem is that he does not like the feed, there is no problem in offering him a totally homemade diet. Of course, we recommend going to a veterinarian specialized in nutrition to advise you and help you establish a balanced diet.
¿What to mix my dog's feed with?
To help the acceptance of the feed, especially in the case of specimens that are used to eating homemade food or are in a period of convalescence, we can resort to a series of very simple tricks. Although intuitively, caregivers tend to mix the feed with wet or homemade food, the truth is that this option is not the most appropriate, since they are foods that will be digested at different times, which can cause digestive discomfort. On the contrary, you can resort to tricks such as the following:
- Moisten the feed wetting it with lukewarm water to soften and hydrate it, resulting in a more attractive and easy-to-eat texture for some dogs. In addition, the temperature stimulates their smell, making the food more palatable..
- If there are no veterinary contraindications, instead of water can be used meat or fish broth no salt or any other seasoning or fat.
- Resort to Barkyn flavors, They are used to add to the feed and give it an explosion of flavor, especially recommended in dogs that show a poor appetite, are recovering from an illness or an operation or, simply, we want to celebrate a specific day by offering them a special menu. It is a complementary dressing to your food and made from meat or fish, vegetables and water. They do not contain cereals, they are made with 100% natural ingredients, without additives or preservatives.
When to go to the vet if my dog does not want to eat his food?
There are many pathologies that occur with lack of appetite. That a day or two it costs our dog to eat, if he is an adult and is healthy, it can be a non-worrisome specific disorder. The same is true if you are in a recovery period after being ill. But if we live with a puppy, an elderly animal or a specimen that already has a diagnosed pathology, you have to call the vet. Also if the dog does not eat feed and is very thin, vomits, is dehydrated or, in general, shows any other sign compatible with disease or the dog suddenly does not want to eat feed or accept any other food, even his favorite. It is also important to see a professional if you suspect that the loss of appetite is of psychological origin, as it is treatable and, in addition, an organic cause must always be ruled out first..