Jealousy is a very common type of behavior in humans, however many owners who have a cat at home; ensure that their pets sometimes show aggressive or possessive behavior towards them.
The cats They are quite unique animals, and with many attitudes that remind us of a human, but, Is it true that your cat can be jealous?
Today, we are going to talk all about the jealousy of cats, therefore we can discover if it is a reality or simply another humanized behavior that has been attributed to felines.
- Can cats feel jealous?
- Symptoms that your cat is jealous
- 1.Your cat seeks your attention intensely
- 2. Shows Aggressive Behavior
- 3.Constantly interrupt
- Why are cats jealous?
- How to Treat a Jealous Cat?
- How to Get Two Jealous Cats to Get Along?
Can cats feel jealous?
It must be remembered that cats are very independent and solitary animals, However, thanks to domestication, we can observe that cats that have been raised under a roof have a different behavior than one raised in the wild..
The house cat, since childhood he will be in different social dynamics, either with you or with other family members, so they become more social and can see in a person a figure on which they depend.
So, if you notice that your cat begins to act aggressive in front of another individual who steals your attention, You may feel that person or another animal as a threat, especially to your needs, such as; eat or play.
Symptoms that your cat is jealous
Although, there are no scientific bases that support that jealousy is a conduct that can be attributed to cats, some behaviors that it adopts are very similar to those that humans or dogs do when they feel jealous.
So if you cat is going through the following symptoms that we will mention at this time, then your kitten may feel that another person or animal is trying to take away his most important figure socially, that is, you.
1.Your cat seeks your attention intensely
If you are at home, and a friend visits you, you may notice that your cat instead of moving away and hiding, especially believing that it is an intruder, on the contrary they approach you in seeking attention.
This is usually quite unusual behavior, but your cat may feel that you are interacting with another individual, and that your needs are interrupted by a third party, therefore trying to get your attention constantly.
2. Shows Aggressive Behavior
Also they cats who feel threatened in front of another individual or animal, they can get a bit aggressive without any explanation, This behavior is related to the fact that they feel that you pay more attention to another living being than to yourself. little cat.
3. Constantly interrupt
If you are talking to a friend or you are playing with another animal, maybe you cat interrupts them for no reason, that is, not to ask you for food or affection, just as a warning to the third party that you are part of their family.
This behavior is directly related to a possessive and territorial trait that children have. cats, since they also make a mark on you, especially with their smells, therefore when they feel another smell they will be placed on alert.
Why are cats jealous?
Further, if they are jealousy or not, a cat that feels unkempt or that you spend more time with other family members, they will feel like they have to get your attention in some way, either adopting behaviors they rarely use.
So a cat who feels displaced, may become aggressive and even engage in mischief as long as you meet their needs.
How to Treat a Jealous Cat?
If you little cat is aggressive towards a family member or another animal that has just arrived at the home, then you should little by little show him that it is another partner, especially that it won't hurt them.
You can make them live together, also serve him prizes or play with them together with the third party, thus they associate the presence of both as something positive and that does not harm their needs.
How to Get Two Jealous Cats to Get Along?
If in your home, there is not 1 kitten, but 2; So, you must do what is necessary so that they can live together and respect each other. This way you can avoid future confrontations, either for food, terror or for your attention.
But, How do I get them to get along?, Relax! If your felines have been fighting lately, you have to focus on the origin of the deputies, therefore, you should ask the following Does everyone have their own plate of food?, Does each have their resting area?, ¿you pay their due attention fairly?, If not, you should certainly follow the following tips:
- Designate a Plate of Food for Each: It is very important if you have two minimums or more, that each one has their own plate of food, since this way you will avoid disputes over food, you should also place them with an adequate distance so that they do not feel threatened or worried that the other will take away their own..
- Place several drinkers: If you have many cats in your home, you should set several drinkers in certain places, so that when they are thirsty they do not all get together in the same drinker and fight for who drinks first..
- Separate Sandboxes: As in the previous cases, the litter box is a sacred place for cats, without a doubt each one should have their own litter box always ready and clean..
- Rest areas: Cats spend most of the day resting and sleeping, therefore, they will find a quiet place away from other members of the house to take a nap or relax, so each cat should have its own space.
- Pay Attention Equally: This should be the most important advice, you should never neglect one kitten for the other, you should always try to give it the same treatment and time, although sometimes we have a favorite, we must give it the attention that each one deserves.
Do you have a jealous cat?, Although it is not known that jealousy is actually a trait of the species, it can present behaviors that are even unknown to the cat itself, therefore always pay attention and take good care of your kitten.