See Dogs files
Observe that a newborn puppy does not suck is cause for alarm. The first stage of a puppy's life is a very delicate time in which many risks are taken and in which the little one must be able to learn on his own to live outside the mother's womb. One of the first things he does as soon as he is born is to find his mother's breasts to feed himself, protect himself in the mother's lap and feel her warmth.
However, there are times when this step is not completed successfully and the puppy is not able to adjust or feed properly. This is a clear sign that something is wrong. Although in this situation the most reasonable thing is to consult the vet as soon as possible, in this AnimalWised article we want to resolve one of the first doubts that often arise after birth., ¿why is my newborn puppy not eating?
We will explain what the warning signs are and what to do when a newborn puppy does not suckle. We will also do a general review so that you know what the care of puppy dogs is.
You may also be interested in: Why doesn't my cat want to eat? Index
- Warning signs
- Causes why a newborn puppy does not eat
- What to do when a newborn puppy does not eat?
- Bottle feeding a newborn puppy
- Puppy dog care
If newborn puppies are not well fed they will become dehydrated, which can cause them to die quickly, as they do not have energy reserves like adult dogs. The weakness of newborn puppies can appear in just a few hours if they cannot feed or receive the warmth of their mother.
Nevertheless, ¿how can we know if our little one is in danger? Here are some red flags that shouldn't be ignored:
- The newborn puppy does not want to eat and is down.
- We can observe the weak muscles.
- Puppies have vomiting or diarrhea.
- The puppy it is cold and his snout is also very cold and dry.
- We observe a strange and unusual discharge from the umbilical cord.
- The newborn puppy does not want to eat, only sleep.
- Inability to suckle or weak reflexes when trying to suckle.
- Newborn puppies they cry a lot.
If you have observed one or more of the above symptoms, you are probably wondering what to do when a newborn puppy is dying. If this is your situation, do not hesitate: go to the vet urgently, These signs are serious and can be life-threatening for the little newborn puppy.
Causes why a newborn puppy does not eat
In most cases, the mother takes full care of the little ones, however, in some cases it will be necessary for us to help the bitch to take care of her puppies, especially when one cannot suckle, when she rejects them or we observe a problem. of health.
The causes that explain why a puppy does not want to suckle are diverse, but to solve it, we must first reach a diagnosis, that can only be offered to us by a veterinarian. Depending on the diagnosis, the specialist will recommend one treatment or another..
Even so, below we will talk about the causes that can cause a newborn puppy not to eat:
- Full stomachSometimes what just happens is that the puppy feels full and refuses to eat. If less than 4 hours have passed since your last feeding, you are most likely not hungry..
- GasesGases are very common in puppies, especially if they are bottle fed. This can cause a lack of appetite, discomfort and may even explain why newborn puppies cry.
- Premature puppiesIf the puppy was born prematurely or suffers a malformation of the nose, throat or jaw, they may refuse to eat or it may be impossible.
- Disease: It may be the case that one of the puppies was born with health problems and cannot suckle on its own. If you notice any strange signs, such as fever, diarrhea, muscle weakness and / or cold, it is possible that what happens is that he is sick. Go to the vet immediately.
- Cold or weak: If he has been separated from the rest of the puppies and from the mother, he may not want to eat because he is cold, since he is unable to regulate his temperature. The cold can weaken and dehydrate the little one in a very short time, and even suffer hypoglycemia, a sudden drop in sugar that will put the puppy's life at risk. If your temperature is below 34ºC, your digestive system will slow down and not work properly. To measure its temperature, you can use a digital pediatric thermometer and insert only the tip into the rectum with the help of a little lubricant..
- Low sugar level: if you notice that the puppy has an adequate temperature, but has weakness, lethargy, does not breastfeed and even has seizures or abnormal tremors it is very likely that what is happening is that he is suffering from hypoglycemia.
- Mother's rejection: it may happen that the mother rejects one or more of the puppies and decides to stop feeding them, either for pathological reasons or instinct. If your little one does not cuddle with his mother and the rest of the puppies, he will be in danger of not getting the food and warmth necessary for his survival. This situation is very delicate, since it is not only dangerous that you do not want to breastfeed them, but you can also be aggressive with them.
What to do when a newborn puppy does not eat?
Depending on the severity of the condition, it will be essential to go to the vet. For the moment, and if it does not show signs of severity, you can follow these tips that will help you protect the little one:
- Full stomach: Wait a while to offer you the next shot. Puppies usually eat every two to four hours, so it may be too early.
- Gases: If despite the dog not eating, it is well and does not show any signs of concern, in addition to a slightly swollen belly, you can help it expel gas by gently stroking its stomach to burp or stimulate with a cloth warm and wet your anus to help you have a bowel movement.
- Premature puppies: faced with this situation, the only thing that can be done is to take premature, lethargic dogs or who suffer malformation to the veterinarian to evaluate their situation.
- Disease- The only person who can help you solve this problem is your vet. Go to him or her as soon as possible for a remedy. ¡Remember that newborn puppies are especially delicate!
- Cold or weak: when we observe that the newborn puppy does not stop crying, we can suspect that it suffers from cold or weakness. Remember to keep the little one warm. You can wrap it up warm and place it on your chest for warmth or use a bag of warm / hot (not boiling) water and place the puppy on a towel on top of this bag to gradually warm up. Don't use a heating pad or cushion, as this could overheat the puppy or raise his temperature too quickly, leading to serious problems. If you notice that the puppy is panting, it is too hot. Lower the temperature a bit. When the puppy regains its ideal temperature, it should show interest in feeding. If he does not improve, take him to the vet to have him checked.
- Low sugar level: the most appropriate thing will always be to go to the vet.
- Mother's rejection: If this is the case, you may need to purchase special nursing formulas for rejected puppies and offer them to the puppies with a bottle. You must keep an exhaustive control and surveillance in these cases. The dog may need to be muzzled to prevent harm if she exhibits behavioral problems. Consult your veterinarian as soon as possible to offer you the most appropriate solution.
Bottle feeding a newborn puppy
Although the ideal is that the puppy (or the puppies) receive both the warmth of the mother and her breastmilk, since this food is essential to develop their immune system, sometimes this cannot be fulfilled, either due to rejection, disability, illness, disease and even death of the parent.
If the possibility of being with the mother has been ruled out or after a while with her the child has not been able to join her and feed, it will be time to have replacement formula milk, also known as artificial formula milk.
We can find milk for puppies in pet stores and veterinary clinics, however, we recommend visiting a veterinarian so that he can explain how much milk does a puppy drink depending on your age and health status.
To offer it, follow these steps:
- Choose a formula suitable for your puppy, which is also of good quality.
- Use a syringe or bottle, always depending on the size of the puppy.
- Make sure you are using the appropriate syringe or nipple size for the size of the puppy, if you have doubts, consult your trusted veterinarian.
- Follow the directions to prepare the milk and give it warm, not too hot.
- The little ones, together with their mother, feed continuously. Therefore, we must feed the helpless puppy including the nights every three or four hours.
- Do not use cow's milk or other substitutes, as it can cause digestive problems in puppies.
Lastly, we must not forget stimulate the genital area of the abandoned child to help him urinate and defecate:
- Gently rub cotton wet with warm water on the genital area of the little one.
- Clean the genital region once you defecate or urinate with a clean paper or cotton.
If any of the above steps don't work or you notice something abnormal during the process, take your newborn puppy to the vet to have the situation evaluated. A puppy with health problems needs immediate attention.
Puppy dog care
Now you already know different causes that can cause a puppy not want to eat, along with the possible solutions, however, if you want to know more about the subject and delve into the care of puppy dogs, do not miss the following tips:
- Check puppies carefully on a daily basis.
- Write down the daily weight of the puppies in a notebook.
- Make sure they all suckle and maintain a stable temperature.
- Do not separate them from the mother prematurely.
- Go to the vet for any of the aforementioned signs.
You can also visit our article about feeding the newborn puppy.