Toxic plants for dogs

See Dogs files

All those people who have decided to welcome a dog as a pet know that they have acquired a great responsibility and that our furry friends need sufficient attention and care to avoid any organic or behavioral problem.

However, there are factors that can be more difficult to control as they pose a threat to our dog but are also found in the external environment, sharing the environment with our pet..

This is the case of toxic plants for dogs, plants that sometimes we can find regularly in our environment but that pose a serious threat to our friend, discover in this AnimalWised article what they are.

You may also be interested in: Toxic plants for horses Index
  1. Toxic plants for dogs
  2. Signs of poisoning
  3. What to do when ingesting a poisonous plant?
  4. Prevent the ingestion of toxic plants

Toxic plants for dogs

Here we show you what those are plants that are potentially dangerous for dogs, in order that you can identify and eliminate them from your environment:

  • Marijuana: Some scientific studies have used dogs to evaluate the effects of cannabis and using maximum doses have come to observe that a dog can remain unconscious for 3 days but that at first there is no mortal danger. However, it is a toxic plant and if our dog ingests it it will suffer alterations in the heart rhythm, disorientation, excessive salivation and tremors.
  • Lilacs: Lilacs, such as lilies, can be part of the decoration of our homes, however, they are dangerous for dogs since after ingesting them they can experience stomach pain, tremors and lethargy.
  • Sago Palm: This is the soil palm tree that is typically part of numerous gardens. The ingestion of this plant will cause gastrointestinal symptoms in our dog, such as vomiting and diarrhea, although it can also affect vital organs and end up causing death, due to a potential poison, cicasin.
  • Daffodils: The ingestion of this flower causes vomiting, diarrhea and excessive salivation in our dogs, but it can also have even more serious consequences since it can cause heart disorders and seizures.
  • Azalea: The azalea is another typical flower that we can find in our environment, its ingestion can cause from vomiting, diarrhea and excessive salivation to lethargy and death.
  • Castor bean: Castor beans cause burning in the mouth and throat of the dog, so we will observe an excessive thirst in our pet. Castor bean poisoning can also be accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea. It can cause the death of the animal.
  • Bird from paradise: This exotic plant that we can find in some gardens can cause discomfort to our dog, as well as vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Difenbaquia: This plant occupies numerous decorative pots in homes, causes both external and internal symptoms. Topically the animal will suffer irritation, blisters and inflammation, internally it will cause a burning throat, inflammation in the digestive tract with difficulty in swallowing, vomiting and respiratory failure.
  • Holly: The fruits, seeds and leaves of this plant are poisonous, causing mainly gastrointestinal manifestations (vomiting, diarrhea and severe abdominal pain). We will also observe a state of drowsiness. Its poisoning can lead to serious dehydration.
  • Cyclamen: Contains an active principle called cyclamine that acts as a powerful purgative, causing severe diarrhea accompanied by vomiting and abdominal pain, depending on the dose we will also observe seizures, kidney failure and paralysis.
  • Oleander or pink laurel: All the parts of this plant are highly toxic, it produces gastrointestinal symptoms, fever, depression of the central nervous system, cardiac alterations and can even cause death due to cardiac arrest..
  • Amaritis: It produces gastrointestinal symptoms with strong vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, it also produces lack of coordination, general malaise and heart disorders. It can lead to the death of the animal.
  • Poinsettia: This typical Christmas plant causes topical alterations in our animal, such as contact dermatitis, internally it ends up producing excessive salivation, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and irritation of the mucous membranes.

Signs of poisoning

In addition to plants, our dog can have contact with numerous toxic substances, so it is essential to know how to recognize the most typical signs of intoxication, in order to urgently go to the vet, which will undoubtedly improve the prognosis of our pet.

If our dog has suffered an intoxication we can observe in him the following manifestations:

  • Signs of severe pain
  • Vomiting
  • Sickness
  • Tremors
  • Paralysis
  • Seizures
  • Delirium
  • Mouth bleeding
  • Unconsciousness
  • Shortness of breath

What to do when ingesting a poisonous plant?

Faced with any of the symptoms detailed above, it will be essential that you read as soon as possible how to treat a poisoned dog as well as make my dog ​​vomit as first aid.

The best option will undoubtedly be to go to the vet and to facilitate veterinary care We recommend that you follow these steps:

  • Identify which of the toxic plants for dogs has caused the poisoning, in this way we can start first aid more quickly
  • Call the vet immediately, he will tell you what relief measures you should take, which will vary depending on the cause of the poisoning.
  • Go urgently to a veterinary clinic, if possible, take a sample of the plant with you

Prevent the ingestion of toxic plants

Now that you know the diversity of plants that are toxic to your pet, it is important that identify them in your environment and eliminate them of the same whenever possible, in the same way you should observe your pet when you are away from home to ensure that he does not ingest any of these plants.

If your dog is lucky enough to be able to walk freely in natural environments, then you should exercise extreme caution, since many of these plants can be easily found in the wild..

Leave Your Comment

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here