Fish, like other animals, need a series of optimal environmental conditions such as pH, humidity and temperature, to live. That is why they require a lot of care to survive, especially when we propose to have them as pets in an aquarium. Many times when we make this decision, we imagine ourselves having fish with striking and exotic colors, however, when acquiring them we must pay close attention to where do we get them and what species are they, since the best thing would be to start our aquarium with species that are not so sensitive or require special care.
If you intend to create your own aquarium and keep warm water fish as pets, in this AnimalWised article we will tell you about their characteristics and which are the best warm water fish for beginners.You may also be interested: Ideal fish for beginners Index
- Characteristics of warm water fish
- Types of warm water fish for beginners
- Other warm water fish for beginners
Characteristics of warm water fish
Warm water or tropical fish are those that inhabit tropical seas or rivers that have a average temperature of about 25 ºC approximately, which allows a greater development of biodiversity. So the fish in our aquarium should be at similar temperatures (this will depend on each species). In this way, the characteristics of warm water fish are:
- Bright colorsThese species are very popular as aquarium fish, as most are brightly colored. In the case of fresh warm water species, these colors are produced by iridescence (that is, it will depend on the light and from which angle it is observed), while in warm marine water fish, it occurs by skin pigments.
- Habitat: in general, these species are typical of coral reefs, complex systems and of great diversity.
- Ectotherms: As we know, fish are ectothermic, that is, their body temperature will depend on the environment, and that is why we must take special care with the temperature of our aquarium, since when choosing to have warm water fish as pets, it will be a crucial factor if we want our little fish to have a good life.
- Temperature: generally, the temperature of warm water aquariums varies between 21 to 29 degrees, although it is advisable to leave it between 24 and 25 degrees. We must pay special attention to our aquarium, since sudden changes can cause stress to the fish and cause diseases. Therefore, it is recommended to check the water temperature daily, and have the thermostat or heater regulated, as well as the filter..
For more information, you can consult this other AnimalWised article on Characteristics of fish..
Types of warm water fish for beginners
There is a great variety of fish that inhabit warm waters, but here we will show you the most docile and easy to breed in your first aquarium:
If you are looking for tropical fish for beginners, this one will enchant you. Surgeon fish They are omnivorous and they do not present differences between the sexes, that is, sexual dimorphism. In nature, the juveniles they usually live near corals that serves to hide from predators. They can be found from East Africa to southern Hawaii and from Japan to Australia. Their preferred habitat is the terraces on the outer side of the reef.
Betta fish (Betta splendens)
A fish belonging to the Osphronemidae family, native to the Southeast Asian. It is a species product of multiple genetic variations that have resulted in different species. They have sexual dimorphism (difference between the sexes), whose differentiation occurs after approximately two months. The adult female is larger, but with smaller and less bulky fins. The males are very territorial, so it is not advisable to have several males together.
If you are interested in these fantastic fish, in this other article on Types of betta fish we will discover all the betta species that exist.
Neon tetra fish (Paracheirodon innesi)
It is a type of freshwater and tropical fish belonging to the Characidae family, native to South America. They are fishes very peaceful and excellent for aquariums, as they prefer to live in schools.
If you like the neon tetra fish and want to find other aquarium companions, we encourage you to read this other AnimalWised article about Tropical fish for an aquarium..
Zebrafish or zebra danio (Danio rerio)
The zebrafish is a cyprinid, native to Southeast Asia, that lives mainly in lakes, rivers and ponds of India. It is a gregarious species and frequently used in aquariums, since it supports the conditions of this environment very well, making it one of the best fish for beginners..
If you like this curious little fish, this other article on Zebrafish care may be interesting, where we explain in greater detail how to satisfy all the zebrafish needs so that you have a healthy and happy animal by your side..
Guppy fish or guppies (Poecilia reticulata)
Another of the most popular warm water fish for beginners is the guppy or guppy fish, an ovoviviparous freshwater fish. typical of South America and that lives in low-flow areas of rivers, lakes and ponds. It does not require much care and reproduces very easily, making it one of the most beautiful and easy-to-care fish..
Pepper corydoras fish (Corydoras paleatus)
Natives of South America, Due to their eating habits of continuously stirring the substrate of fish tanks and aquariums looking for all kinds of edible organic matter, pepper corydoras fish indirectly carry out the bottom cleaning and the remains of food that have been deposited there. On the other hand, they are totally harmless to other fish, since they are gregarious and do not attack any other inhabitant of the aquarium..
If you are interested in the pepper corydoras fish for its cleaning function, you may also be interested in these other Animals that clean the aquarium.
Swordtail fish (Xiphophorus hellerii)
Native to Central America, the swordtail fish belongs to the Poeciliidae family. Is a fairly peaceful species and they will ignore the rest of the fish. But we must be careful if we think we have more than one male, since they are very territorial with the female and they can become annoying, so it is advisable to have one for every three or four females.
Platy fish (Xiphophorus maculatus)
The platy fish belongs to the Poeciliidae family, lives in America and is considered another of the best warm water fish for beginners. This species does not need special care and they are easy to care. In addition, they have an exceptional ability to reproduce, like other species of the same family, such as guppies or mollys..
For more information, in this other article we explain ¿How fish reproduce?
Rainbow Fish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
The rainbow fish is a species belonging to the Melanotaeniidae family that inhabits Southeast Asia. It is not an aggressive fish and is gregarious, so it is advisable to keep in small schools of about five individuals. He is very restless and is constantly swimming, so it is advisable not to combine them with calmer species.
If you like this beautiful fish, here we explain what are the care of the rainbow fish.
Other warm water fish for beginners
Another type of warm water fish for beginners are:
- Cherry barbel (Puntius titteya).
- Pearl gourami (Trichogaster leeri)
- Corydora panda.
- Harlequin fish (Trigonostigma heteromorpha).
- Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus).
- Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris).
- Kissing Gourami (Helostoma temminckii).
- Oscar fish (Astronotus ocellatus).
- Butterfly fish (Chaetodontidae).
- Angelfish or scalar fish (Pterophyllum scalare).
- Discus fish (Symphysodon).
In addition, we leave you this other AnimalWised article about Ideal fish for beginners.