¿Are you thinking of adopting a nymph or carolina cockatoo in your home? If so, you are most likely wondering whether to host a nymph male or female, that is to say, what is better according to your lifestyle and what differences are there between females and males.
If you are interested in knowing the differences between male and female nymphs, we invite you to read this AnimalWised article in which we not only help you make this difficult decision, but also explain what care this beautiful bird needs and its behaviour. Of course, before doing so we encourage you to reflect on the ownership of these animals and the type of life that you are going to offer them, since it is not appropriate for them to remain locked in a cage 24 hours a day.You may also be interested in: Differences between male and female parrot Index
- Nymph care
- Nymph behavior
- What is better male or female nymph?
- How to tell if a papilla nymph is male or female?
Before welcoming a nymph into your family it is important that you document yourself well about the necessary care of this bird, since covering all its needs is your responsibility as the owner to guarantee the correct welfare of your animal. Let's see, then, what are the care that this species needs:
- Food and water: Offering your Carolina the best diet will be key for her to be strong, healthy and happy. Generally, it is recommended to buy food in specific pellets for this species and supplement them with the intake of fruits and vegetables, as well as occasionally some dried fruit. Obviously, water is essential too, so your nymph should always have access to clean and fresh water.
- Quiet and safe environment: these birds need to have their nest and / or cage in a quiet place or without noise that can disturb it, with all their needs at their fingertips (food, water, entertainment…) and with the possibility of sheltering from rain, wind, heat (you must have access to the shade), etc..
- Physical exercise: it is necessary that your nymph has Liberty out of the cage with the intention of doing physical exercise, as these animals need fly, as well as climbing with the help of its legs and beak.
- Social interaction: As we have mentioned, this species, like many other birds, is very sociable. It requires, therefore, a lot of attention, either from its human companion or from another nymph companion..
- Environmental enrichment: Carolines need daily entertainment with different elements, such as toys, to promote cognitive activity, combat boredom and consequently prevent them from developing behavioral problems and even stereotypes.
For more details, see this other article: "¿How to take care of a nymph or carolina cockatoo? "Or don't miss this video.
Nymphs are not only beautiful and elegant birds, but they are also characterized by having a character of the most sociable and affectionate and for being very smart. It is not surprising that they have won the hearts of many of the tutors who live with one as a companion animal, since Carolinas form very strong bonds of attachment with the people who have cared for them since childhood.
Furthermore, nymphs also manifest a wide range of emotions, from joy to anger, through their body language (largely thanks to their expressive crest) and various vocalizations, as they can make screams, hisses, grunts… In fact, it is well known that these birds can even learn to imitate human speech..
In the day to day, these birds perform all kinds of behaviors to satisfy their needs, for example, they keep their hygiene up to date by grooming their feathers or that of their friends if they live in the company of other nymphs. Likewise, they also perform behaviors such as playing with the toys that you provide, satisfying their curiosity and drawing your attention to play with them, throwing or hitting objects. However, ¿male and female nymphs behave the same? ¿Which is better, male or female nymph? Let's see it next.
What is better male or female nymph?
Now that you know a little more about nymphs, surely you want to know what are the main differences between females and males..
First of all, although it is not a general rule, the truth is that the males they usually have more showy colorations that the females, because, in part, it is thanks to their beautiful plumage that they conquer them. For this reason, males tend to wear brighter yellow tones, while females tend to wear paler or gray tones..
Next, and related to the previous point, males tend to emit more often melodious songs and to perfect them, It is also thanks to their songs that they attract the attention of the females, in addition to performing courtship dances if they meet a partner in ideal breeding conditions. This also implies that males are more likely to learn to say words, since they make sounds more often. The females, instead, they are usually more silent and calm.
Now known the main differences between male and female nymphs, ¿what is better? The truth is that everything will depend on your lifestyle and the type of partner you are looking for. Females tend to be calmer, so if you don't have that much time it may be a better option, on the other hand, if you want to spend many hours playing with your nymph and teaching her new words, a male may be more adapted to these needs. However, this does not mean that females cannot learn, since they can, simply that, by nature, males internalize these learnings more quickly..
How to tell if a papillary nymph is male or female?
It's complicated to know the sex of such a small nymph because both her plumage and her character have not yet been formed. In addition, we must bear in mind that these are not decisive, as there are females who sing frequently, for example. The safest and most effective method to differentiate them is through the DNA sexing, in which a few feathers should be taken to a sexing laboratory where they will be analyzed, or a blood test done.
There is a second method with which we could know if the nymph is male or female, and this is through the color inheritance, But for this we would need to know the color of the parents and if they present colorations linked to sex. That is, it would be necessary to know if the parents had a color mutation linked to sex, which are the cinnamon, lutina and pearl colorations. Therefore, knowing what the parents are like, the sex of the offspring can be predicted. For example, if a male has one of these colorations and mates with a female with a different mutation, we will know that all the males will be born the same color as the father and the female chicks will be different.
For all the above, to know the sex of a Carolina papillera nymph, it is best to go to a professional.