See parrots files
At present, many people have seen the parrot as an ideal companion animal, not only because of the great beauty it possesses and the sympathy that it arouses, but also because it is an animal that is characterized by its great intelligence..
One of the most characteristic features of the parrot is its colorful and cheerful plumage, precisely, in addition to being an area that attracts attention, it is also an area prone to pathological disorders, which on some occasions may have organic causes and on others may occur. for behavioral disorders.
In this AnimalWised article we provide you with all the information you need to know if your parrot plucks its feathers, as well as all its causes and solutions.You may also be interested: My Mandarin Diamond plucks its feathers Index
- Why does my parrot pluck its feathers?
- What to do if my parrot plucks its feathers?
- How to prevent my parrot from plucking its feathers?
Why does my parrot pluck its feathers?
The fact that a parrot plucks its feathers too It is known by the name of picaje and it is an abnormal behavior not to be confused with the times of change.
Parrots do not have a specific molting period established but this is characterized by the loss of plumage that does NOT leave bare skin areas, On the other hand, if we observe in our parrot body areas completely devoid of feathers and, sometimes, accompanied by injuries, then we are facing a clear case of intentional plucking.
Pecking can be caused by different factors, although the most common is psychological, which also has a significant relapse rate and requires complex treatment. Let's see below the Causes why a parrot plucks its feathers:
- Stress: the parrot may be stressed by lack of attention, by insufficient hygiene in its cage or by being in a small cage, by lack of stimulation and boredom, by feeling of loneliness and abandonment and even in sensitive parrots stress can be caused by conflicts at home.
- Malnutrition: along with stress is another of the main causes. If the parrot feeds only on seeds, it suffers from dry skin, which leads to excessive cleaning that can trigger the habit of plucking..
- Environmental factors: humidity, tobacco smoke or kitchen smoke can upset the animal and cause this behavior.
- External parasites: mites and lice cause irritation to the skin of the animal that plucks the feathers in an attempt to relieve symptoms.
- Dermatological infections- A topically localized bacterial or fungal infection can cause itching and inflammation, to which the parrot responds by plucking its feathers in an attempt to calm symptoms.
Other causes that can make a parrot pluck its feathers:
- Hormone deficiency.
- Sexual frustration at not being able to conclude the courtship.
- Skin changes: bruises, cysts, or broken feathers.
- Bacterial diseases.
As we have seen, there are many causes that can cause pecking in a parrot, so it will be essential to be able establish what factor is causing the problem. Likewise, we recommend consulting the article on "Most common diseases of parrots ".
What to do if my parrot plucks its feathers?
If we observe a pecking behavior in the parrot, the first thing we must do is take him to the vet for a full exam. This is absolutely necessary to be able to rule out or verify the presence of any underlying pathology that was causing this disorder..
The veterinarian is the only person qualified to indicate a specific treatment against pecking, however, depending on the cause of the problem, we can highlight the following treatment options:
- To control stress we must remove our parrot from the cage daily, as well as ensure that it has different toys at its disposal. The parrot will also need a cage that is large enough and that complies with optimal hygiene conditions. In some cases, it may be useful for the parrot to live with another animal of its species to avoid the emotions of loneliness. It is useful to bathe him frequently, as this will reject contact with his feathers and will not pull them off.
- We must review those environmental factors that could be affecting the parrot, such as smoke from the kitchen, and change the cage to improve its immediate environment..
- In the case of external parasites, we must periodically spray the parrot with a antiparasitic product, always under veterinary supervision and strictly following the manufacturer's recommendations.
- If the bite is caused by a bacterial disease or a skin infection, it will be necessary to follow a antibiotic or antifungal treatment that the vet should always prescribe.
- It will be necessary to review the feeding. To correct any nutritional deficit, we must provide our parrot with a diet based mainly on fruit, vegetables and dry feed, also providing dry or germinated seeds. Do not miss our articles with the "Fruits and vegetables for parrots ".
If we consider the main factor that is causing the intentional plucking in our parrot and apply the corresponding advice, we can solve this problem before a serious injury occurs.
How to prevent my parrot from plucking its feathers?
Prevent a parrot from plucking its feathers not always possible, Since, as we have seen, this behavior can be caused by a hormonal deficit or bacterial infection. However, it is possible to try that the health of our pet is optimal, that its immune system is competent and avoid any factor that could be stressful..
If you want to prevent your parrot from plucking its feathers, it will be very useful to follow the following tips:
- You must provide your parrot with enough toys and periodically change their location
- The diet of your pet must be complete and balanced, consult your veterinarian if it would be appropriate to administer a nutritional supplement in certain times or circumstances
- It is important that you eliminate the factors that can be stressful for your parrot from the environment
- Your parrot may experience stress if it does not receive the enough attention on your part so it is important that you spend time with him
- Consult your veterinarian about the most suitable products to deworm your parrot, how you should apply them and how often
Take these preventive measures will help your pet to enjoy a better quality of life.
This article is merely informative, at AnimalWised.com we do not have the power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the vet in the event that it presents any type of condition or discomfort.