See Mustélidos files
When we talk about pets we always link this concept to dogs and cats, which we consider our animal friends par excellence, however, the landscape of companion animals has changed enormously today, so much so that the ferret is no longer a hunting mammal to become an endearing pet.
Obviously its body, its behavior and its needs are very different from those of a dog or a cat, so it requires specific care and when it comes to veterinary controls it is also important to go to a clinic specialized in exotics.
The feeding of this animal directly intervenes in its state of health and well-being, so in this article we show you the solutions and recommendations to use when a ferret does not want to eat I think, in order to avoid any complications.You may also be interested: My cat does not want to eat I think, what can I do? Index
- Ferret feeding
- Rule out underlying pathologies
- My ferret does not eat because it is sick?
- Most common reasons why a ferret does not want to eat I think
- Solutions and recommendations for our ferret to eat feed
This animal has specific nutritional requirements, therefore, let's first see what should be the feeding of the ferret:
- It should contain a greater amount of animal protein than vegetable, constituting between 30 and 38% of your diet
- The content of your food must have a fat percentage that ranges between 18 and 20%
- Fiber is very important to prevent gastrointestinal complications, a daily intake of 4% is recommended
- The ferret's food should also contain vitamin A, C, E and taurine
The food that we must use to make sure we offer our ferret all the nutrients it needs is the I think specific for ferrets and it is recommended to use a dry feed as it reduces the amount of tartar that accumulates on the teeth.
Rule out underlying pathologies
Anorexia or lack of appetite may itself be the symptom indicative of some disease and if our ferret does not want to eat I think, this may be due to any of the following pathologies:
- Infectious diseases that affect the digestive system
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Heart failure
- Metabolic problems
- Neurological disorders
- Ingestion of toxic substances
Because the lack of appetite may be indicating serious disorders it is important go to the vet first, since if he suspects the existence of an underlying disease, he will perform a complete physical examination, a dental examination and will rely on tests such as ultrasounds or urinalysis to verify the presence of any abnormality.
My ferret does not eat because it is sick?
As we will see later, the most common reasons why a ferret does not want to eat I think They are not serious, but this is not always the case, if your ferret does not eat feed and you also observe the presence of any of the following symptoms, it may be sick:
- Loss of hair
- Difficulty breathing
- Incoordination in movements
- Stiff limbs
Any of these symptoms together with a lack of appetite may be indicative that something serious is happening, the cause of anorexia being an underlying disease, go to the vet urgently.
Most common reasons why a ferret does not want to eat I think
In the absence of any serious underlying pathology, ferrets tend to reject feed for the following reasons:
- They have a hard time adjusting to its taste
- They have difficulty adapting to its texture (in the case of dry feed)
- They are used to a diet based on meat and eggs
- They have developed gingivitis from tartar buildup and are unable to eat comfortably
- The feed that is provided to them is not of good quality or it is a feed intended for other types of animals
Solving these causes and getting our ferret to eat properly is not complex, but it does require a large dose of patience on the part of the owners..
Solutions and recommendations for our ferret to eat feed
If your ferret does not eat, it is necessary to use one (and sometimes several) of the following measures, until its food intake is progressively normalized:
- Provide him with toys that he can chew on, this will reduce the build-up of tartar on the teeth preventing and treating gingivitis
- Do not give him cat food, he needs a specific feed for ferrets
- As a basic average, it is recommended to change the type of feed, ferrets have an exquisite palate and do not get used to any flavor
- To adapt to the texture of the dry feed, it can be started in the form of a porridge, leaving it to soak beforehand in water for about 10-15 minutes.
- If the problem of our ferret is that it is used to a diet based on meat, at first we must add a handful of meat to the feed and make a wet mixture, progressively, we will decrease the amount of meat used
- If the porridge with meat and feed does not work, at first you should only use a meat porridge to which the feed will be gradually added.
As we have mentioned before, these stockings are usually very effective as long as the owner has the enough perseverance and patience.