See Dogs files
The plantain, Also called banana, banana or cambur, it is one of the most popular fruits in the world. Not only humans eat it, ¡some dogs love it too! However, ¿dogs can eat banana? ¿It is a healthy food for them? ¿We must moderate its consumption?
There are certain human foods that dogs can eat, ¿is the banana among them? In this AnimalWised article we will tell you about this delicious fruit and its consumption in dogs., ¡keep reading!You may also be interested: Can rabbits eat banana? Index
- Is banana good for dogs?
- Benefits of banana for dogs
- Contraindications of banana consumption in dogs
- Recommended amount of bananas for dogs
- Can dogs eat banana peel?
Is banana good for dogs?
You should know that there are many fruits and vegetables recommended for dogs and, in fact, ¡most dogs love it! Although the dog has Nutritional requirements specific, in which the contribution of fats and proteins should be prioritized,  you can also obtain benefits from the moderate consumption of fruit and vegetables, since they provide vitamins and minerals necessary for your body.
It is important to note that not all dogs like the same fruits and that some fruits and vegetables are also toxic to dogs. In fact, even the fruits recommended for dogs can have a negative effect on yours if you present allergy or intolerance. For this reason, it is advisable to add them to the diet gradually, starting with small portions to check the acceptance of the dog's body..
It is best to chop it into pieces, remove the seeds and, in some cases, remove the peel or skin. Fruit should never be a substitute or the basis of your dog's diet, it is a supplement that you can offer as a natural reward, for example.
However, ¿dogs can eat banana? ¡The answer is yes! Read on to discover the benefits, contraindications, or recommended dosage, ¡Do not miss it!
Benefits of banana for dogs
Banana is a very tasty fruit that dogs tend to enjoy enormously, but also, you should know that it has many benefits for your dog. Some of them are:
- Potassium: thus helping to strengthen bones and allowing better absorption of calcium. In addition, it strengthens blood vessels and tones muscles.
- Vitamin B6: which has anti-inflammatory function and helps prevent cardiovascular diseases. As if that were not enough, it regulates the functioning of red blood cells.
- Dibra: helping to improve intestinal transit.
- Vitamin C: strengthening the immune system and keeping blood pressure levels stable.
- Contains natural probiotics: these help regulate the intestinal flora, which translates into a healthy digestive system; This is why it is recommended when your dog is suffering from diarrhea. Discover in AnimalWised more about probiotics for dogs and their positive effects on the body.
Likewise, banana is a food that contains natural sugars, which provide energy without involving processed additives or artificial colors, present in many sweet foods for human consumption..
Contraindications of banana consumption in dogs
As with other foods, the benefits of banana can be overshadowed if its consumption is abused. Here are some of the consequences:
- ConstipationIf your dog's digestive system is working properly, ingesting banana excessively will likely cause constipation.
- DiarrheaAlthough it is a fruit that most dogs enjoy, yours may not feel well and may experience diarrhea after consumption. Hence the importance of gradual and controlled intake.
- Allergies: some dogs may be allergic to banana. Because of this, you must be very careful when you offer it the first few times, carefully observing their reaction and possible changes in the body..
- Hyperactivity: as we have explained to you, the banana contains sugars that provide energy, but if you administer it in excess the result will be a hyperactive dog.
Recommended amount of bananas for dogs
Once you have verified that your dog tolerates banana consumption, you can start adapting the portions according to the size of your dog. In dogs of small breed, cut slices of about a centimeter and offer only two; in medium dogs, half a banana, while large breeds They can consume between half a banana and a whole one.
Of course in all these cases you should always cut the banana into small slices, no more than one centimeter, to avoid choking. You can also crush it, form a mush and include it in a Kong for dogs. Of course, you should not forget that the banana is a food that you must offer in a timely manner, it should never replace the feed or food you give your dog.
Can dogs eat banana peel?
Never let your dog eat the banana peel. This is very hard and therefore difficult to chew, so it is very easy for you to choke on it. In addition, the potassium levels in the banana skin are high, which represents an excess of fiber for your dog's body..
In some cases it has happened that, after ingesting the shell, the dogs have convulsed. This is because, for commercial purposes, they are added varnishes and other chemicals to the outside of the fruit to make it more attractive and shiny. This is another reason not to allow your dog to consume it..
If you discover that your dog has ingested one of these shells, he will most likely only vomit in the following hours. However, you must remain attentive to any other reaction and, in case another sign appears, go to the vet.