See Dogs files
Pineapple is one of the most popular fruits worldwide, and its exquisite flavor and refreshing texture make it an attractive snack even for dogs. However, before feeding your furry friend with this exquisite delicacy, you need to know if dogs can eat pineapple or not. Remember that otherwise it could only be harmful to him.
Dogs can be very eaters, so it is your responsibility to watch what they consume to maintain their health. Some fruits are recommended for them, find out in this AnimalWised article if pineapple is one of them. ¡Keep reading!You may also be interested: Can dogs eat kiwi? Index
- Can dogs eat pineapple?
- Benefits of pineapple for dogs
- How to give pineapple to my dog?
- Pineapple for dogs, is it the best fruit?
- Pineapple to prevent dogs from eating their feces
Can dogs eat pineapple?
The answer to this question is yes, dogs can eat pineapple. However, as with other fruits, it is not a food that you should give it frequently, it is advisable to offer it moderately as a supplement to your diet. ¿What is this about? The dog's diet must be rich in proteins and fats, components that are obtained mainly through meat and fish..
Despite the above, your furry friend's diet should also include enough vitamins and fiber for good health, and these elements are found in fruits. Moderation is the key, as fruits are rich in sugars, so they are harmful if consumed daily.
Benefits of pineapple for dogs
Pineapple has some benefits for your dog, among which we can mention the following:
- Helps circulation: has anticoagulant properties that notably improve blood circulation and prevent cardiovascular diseases and hypertension.
- Increase defenses: pineapple is an excellent source of folic acid, a fundamental vitamin to strengthen the immune system of dogs.
- Contains nutrients: potassium, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals such as magnesium  help strengthen bones.
- It is rich in Water: pineapple is one of the fruits with the highest amount of water in its composition, making it ideal for cooling dogs in summer and preventing dehydration, which is the cause of the dreaded heat stroke.
- Provides bromelain: this enzyme helps digest proteins, an essential base in the diet of dogs.
How to give pineapple to my dog?
Now that you know that your dog can eat pineapple, it's time to show you how to feed it. As we have mentioned, fruit is only a supplement in the diet of dogs, so it cannot be the basis of their diet. Ideally, the fruit represents 15% of the total food, that is, you can offer it to them as a treat or an occasional little treat.
Before giving your dog pineapple, keep the following in mind recommendations:
- Select the best pineapple, this will help you peel it more easily. Choose a ripe one, you will recognize it by its orange tones and the intense green of the leaves.
- Cut the pineapple on a board for convenience and with a sharp knife. Lay down the pineapple and hold the base with one hand while cutting the stem of leaves with the other.
- Repeat the procedure to cut the base of the pineapple, avoiding making a very thick cut, since, otherwise, you would waste part of the fruit.
- Once the two ends of the pineapple are cut, stand it up. Peel the fruit by cutting the peel into strips from top to bottom.
- ¡And ready! If you notice black spots in the pulp, you can easily remove them with a potato peeler or by making direct cuts..
Once you have the pineapple ready, it is advisable to taste it to make sure it's sweet, since dogs reject bitter fruits. Afterwards, cut some pieces, you can take them with you during the walks to give them as a reward or to hydrate. Pineapple is recommended maximum 3 times a week and vary it with other fruits.
¿What to avoid?
It is not advisable to give pineapple to your dog in the form of juice, in this way the fruit becomes too concentrated and would be harmful to him. It is also not advisable to give processed pineapple juice, as they contain many added ingredients, such as extra doses of sugar, preservatives, among others. In the same way, it is not necessary to add sugar, honey or any type of sweetener to the pieces of fruit that you offer your dog, only the pineapple will be more than enough for him..
Keep in mind that pineapple is a fruit with a large amount of sugar, more than others more recommended for dogs. For this reason, controlling its consumption is so important and avoiding giving it in juice is essential. When liquefying a fruit, the sugar from it passes much faster into the bloodstream, which causes it not to become glucose, but fat.
¿Dogs can eat pineapple ice cream?
They can eat pineapple ice cream, however, it is much better to offer chopped fruit because with ice cream it is practically the same as with juice. However, ice cream is more allowed because it refreshes the dog and keeps him entertained. In this article you will find different recipes for ice cream for dogs.
Pineapple for dogs, is it the best fruit?
Do not, As we just mentioned, although dogs can eat pineapple, it is not the best fruit we can offer them. There are many other fruits that also provide fiber, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and a lot of water, without reaching the amount of sugar that pineapple has. Some examples are apple, strawberry or watermelon. In the following article you will find the best ones: "Fruits and vegetables good for dogs ".
Thus, in conclusion, pineapple is good for dogs occasionally and very occasionally, since there are other fruits that are more suitable for them..
Pineapple to prevent dogs from eating their feces
¿Have you noticed that some dogs eat their droppings? If yours has this problem, you need to know that it is not necessary to reprimand him when he does. The reasons that trigger this behavior there are several:
- Weak digestive system.
- Diseases such as pancreatic insufficiency (prevents the assimilation of food).
- Diet poor in some nutrients.
- Behavior problems motivated by stress and other factors.
In these cases, it is advisable to go to your veterinarian to determine the cause and the appropriate treatment for your dog. In the same way, pineapple can help you improve this condition. We recommend giving him some pieces for several days, he may stop eating his stool for change that the fruit produces in the taste.