See Cats files
The renal insufficiency It is one of the most common problems in elderly cats and there are two types: kidney deficiency, which is usually caused by an infection or the appearance of toxins, and chronic kidney deficiency, caused by tumors, irreversible damage or unknown causes. A cat suffering from kidney failure must receive an appropriate diet as well as specific care to improve its health and increase its longevity..
Remember that a food for cats with kidney failure must be prescribed by the vet since it is a product that could harm the health of a healthy cat or one that suffered from another disease. In addition, the specialist will offer you advice to take better care of him and increase his life expectancy..
In this AnimalWised article we have compiled the best food for cats with kidney failure and we will explain what benefits each one has and why you should choose them. Do not forget to discuss your choice with your vet to make sure it is the appropriate food for your cat:You may also be interested in: I think for dogs with food intolerance - How to choose the best one? Index
- Feeding a cat with kidney failure
- Hill 's
- Royal canin
- Pro Plan
Feeding a cat with kidney failure
Before talking about the nutritional needs of cats with kidney failure, it will be essential to remember that The consumption of water is vital to promote the recovery of the feline or to improve its quality of life. A diseased kidney loses the ability to retain water and this causes abundant urination that leads to dehydration.
Some tips that can help you are:
- Apart from the feed, include wet food daily in your diet, yes, do not forget to choose products that are indicated for kidney failure.
- Renew the drinking water regularly.
- Consider buying a water fountain, many cats prefer this type of drinking fountain.
- Keep the feeders and drinkers clean and away from the litter box.
- In the most severe cases, the use of subcutaneous serum should be used..
Now that we know the importance of hydration in our cat, it will be time to talk about feeding to follow. It is very important to emphasize that it is the main treatment and what is the key to treating kidney failure or improving the quality of life of cats with chronic kidney disease.
Diets, whether they are homemade recipes for cats with kidney failure or a diet based on dry feed, should contain:
- Protein restriction: reducing the protein intake of the cat's diet prevents the degeneration of the kidneys. We must consult with our veterinarian the amount of daily grams of protein that the patient needs and also make sure that it is a high quality product. This detail will help us to choose the feed correctly.
- Phosphate restriction (phosphorus): as with protein, phosphate is difficult to filter through a diseased kidney, and it can also accumulate scar tissue in said organ. Especially in cats with a phosphorus level higher than 6.8 mg / dl, the use of chelators is highly recommended as it adheres to the phosphate in the food and prevents it from reaching the blood..
- Lipid increase: It is common for cats with kidney failure to reject different types of food and that causes anorexia in our feline. Increasing the contribution of lipids improves the stability of the food and helps to maintain the ideal weight. The animal should ingest between 70 and 80 kc per day, especially those that contain omega 3 and 6.
- Vitamins and supplements: ask your veterinarian about the possibility of offering your cat vitamins B and C (very important for digestive health and increased appetite), potassium and acid-base control. Due to the heartburn suffered by cats suffering from this disease, many veterinarians recommend the use of antacids.
The gamma of Hill 's Prescription Diet has clinically proven products that can help control the various health problems that a cat may suffer from. In addition to the feed, Hill 's complements each of its products with food in cans, very beneficial if our best friend is delicate and needs soft food.
Here we propose 3 Hill 's brand products for cats suffering from kidney failure:
1. Prescription Diet c / d Chicken
The kidney stones or stones are a serious health problem that must be treated as soon as possible. Definitely buy Prescription Diet c / d Chicken is to buy one of the best feed for cats with kidney failure since reduces the appearance of stones and dissolves them in 14 days. It is a very specific product and for a very specific ailment, so if you are not sure that your cat can suffer from stones, you should never give this product. In this case Hill 's proposes the classic chicken flavor.
2. Prescription Diet c / d Fish
This product, Prescription Diet c / d Fish, is identical to the previous one, the only difference is the taste, which in this case it is fish. It is also used to treat kidney stones or calculi, preventing their appearance and dissolving them in 14 days..
3. Prescription Diet Feline k / d
Unlike previous products, Prescription Diet Feline k / d is designed to improve the quality of life of cats with kidney failure. It is an excellent product that also has reduced protein, ideal for elderly cats, and an important source of omega 3.
Royal Canin has a range of specific foods that support different veterinary treatments. In this case, to treat kidney failure:
Renal RF 23 Feline
The product Renal RF 23 Feline, it is especially indicated for chronic kidney failure, for alkalinization of urine, for hepatic encephalopathy, and for cats with recurrent calcium oxalt uroliths. It has a low phosphorus content and also proteins are limited, that as we have commented in the previous case, it is very beneficial for elderly cats.
Optirenal Sterilized Turkey
Finally, Optirenal Sterilized Turkey It has two very important functions: it improves the quality of life of cats with urinary or kidney problems and it is also perfect for neutered cats. It is a very complete product. It is also a delicate food for cats with sensitive digestion.