See Cats files
When we adopt a cat, we assume a great responsibility, since its health and well-being will depend exclusively on us. Whether it is a puppy or adult cat, we must inform us properly. The veterinarian will explain to us what objects he needs to scratch, the most common diseases, how often the water and litter box must be renewed or some details about feeding.
Precisely this last point generates many doubts and confusion, since there are many options on the market: dry food, wet food, barf diet, homemade recipes, leftovers... ¿Which choice is the correct one? In this AnimalWised article we will try to shed some light on some points, but we will focus on answering the question; ¿cats can eat pasta? Find out below:You may also be interested: Can dogs eat pasta? Index
- Optimal feeding of the feline
- Is pasta bad for cats?
- Can cats eat pasta with tomato?
- Other foods
Optimal feeding of the feline
We can currently consider various options when determining the diet of a cat and this opens the door to different debates about nutrition. We can find different types of food, such as dry feed, wet food or a variety of homemade diets. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages that the tutor must assess.
When we are faced with dry food or wet food, be it pate or meat in sauce, we have before us a food designed specifically for felines, which contains all the necessary nutrients for optimal development. In addition, we have categories to adapt it to the feline, either by stages or specific needs. For example, there are feeds studied for the development of puppy cats or feeds for cats with kidney failure, among others..
Before the appearance of nutritional deficiencies In the feline, the composition of the food that we are offering the cat should be analyzed to determine if it is correct, as well as consult with our veterinarian to rule out any pathology.
We must not forget that the cat is a carnivorous animal, Therefore, providing a diet that does not include the necessary amount of protein or taurine, among others, can cause malnutrition or health problems, such as the appearance of anemia. Even when the feline is fed homemade diets rich in meat and offal, we can create nutritional deficiencies if we do not know how to adequately supplement the calcium intake..
In the case of offer leftovers to our cat, we must remember that not all food for human consumption is suitable for the cat, since there are prohibited foods for felines, such as onions. It should not be forgotten that the nutritional needs of cats and people are different, therefore, the diet must also be different. Then, ¿cats may or may not eat pasta? ¡We explain it to you below!
Is pasta bad for cats?
Pasta, as well as other foods, such as bread or rice, are made up of carbohydrates and, because of this, they contain substances such as starch or gluten. When we consider offering pasta or any other food of this style to our felines, we must assess what the real nutritional needs of our pet are and carbohydrates are not part of them.
The nutritional requirements of cats  are based mainly on the consumption of protein and fat, followed by fatty acids, amino acids, minerals and vitamins. Therefore a cat should not eat pasta or, at least, it should not be considered an essential food in your diet or that represents a high percentage of it.
Also, gluten can cause allergic reactions and intolerance in the cat, causing episodes of diarrhea or vomiting. Likewise, a high percentage of carbohydrates can be dangerous, since once metabolized it transforms into sugars, which the cat is unable to eliminate adequately. The direct consequences can be overweight and obesity.
Also, if you make bread at home, you should be careful with your feline, especially if he shows interest in bread, pasta and the like: eating raw dough can be dangerous, since the fermentation process would take place in the cat's stomach. If you finally want to offer your cat bread, it is preferable to wait for the stale bread to cool.
As we mentioned earlier, the cat is an essentially carnivorous animal, although this does not mean that it cannot eat different foods, such as vegetables. Of course, they must be administered in small amounts. Finally, we can say that the cat does not require foods that contain carbohydrates, which are unnecessary substances for a feline's diet. However, you can offer sporadically food such as pasta, bread or rice to your cat if you wish.
Can cats eat pasta with tomato?
Although cats can occasionally eat pasta or rice, we must take even more precautions when it comes to pasta with seasonings. Salt is especially harmful to the cat's kidneys and tomato is not considered a food especially suitable for the health of our feline. Ideally, offer the cat a small portion of pasta accompanied by a larger quantity of lightly cooked fish or meat. In turn, without salt or onion.
On the other hand, the mixture of pasta or rice with industrial foods, such as wet food in cans, is totally discouraged, since the foods have different digestion times. It is better to bet on diets prepared by professionals or on commercially prepared foods that guarantee adequate nutrition.
Below we will show you a list of foods that often raise doubts between the owners:
- ¿Cats can eat cheese? Cheese is not a food especially recommended for cats, since most contain a high amount of salt, however, if we bet on soft lactose-free cheeses we can offer it in a timely manner.
- ¿Cats can eat squid? Squids are a food that we can offer to our feline, always lightly cooked, without salt or other harmful foods.
- ¿Cats can eat corn? Corn is a component that we find in various commercial pet foods, however, it is not considered an ideal component in their diet. If you have observed that your feed contains corn, perhaps you should look for a healthier alternative.
- ¿Cats can eat pipes? Some nuts are especially harmful to cats, although pipes are not. Whenever we remove the shell, we can offer pipes to our feline.
- ¿Cats can eat ham? Ham can be an excellent food for our feline if we want to use it as a reward or as a wrapper to camouflage pills. However, we must look for those foods that do not contain salt.
- ¿Cats can eat eggs? The egg is an excellent food for the feline since it is rich in proteins and fats, essential in the cat's diet. If you make homemade diets it can be a very interesting option.
- ¿Cats can eat rice? As we have commented in this same article, rice is not a recommended food for cats and must be offered in very specific cases..
- ¿Cats can eat lentils? While it is true that lentils contain protein and a small percentage of fat, the truth is that they contain a very high volume of carbohydrates, therefore, it is a food that is not highly recommended..