See Cats files
The term "oatmeal "designates various species of herbaceous plants, two of which are widely cultivated for food and forage (Avena sativa and Avena Byzantine). As a cereal, it is one of the most consumed ingredients in breakfasts and most used in traditional bakery, in the preparation of breads, cookies and cakes..
Currently, there are many guardians who choose to incorporate homemade recipes into the diet of their felines and wonder if cats can eat oats. In this AnimalWised article, we will explain to you if cats can eat oats, what benefits could its consumption have and some precautions that we must consider before offering this cereal to our felines.You may also be interested in: Can Cats Eat Rice? Index
- Is oatmeal good for cats?
- Benefits of oatmeal for cats
- How to prepare oatmeal for cats?
Is oatmeal good for cats?
Between the nutritional properties of oats, We highlight the high content of vegetable proteins, vitamins, fibers and vegetable fats. However, all its varieties contain gluten (although in less quantity than wheat), being able to generate adverse reactions in felines intolerant to this substance.
Despite containing carbohydrates, its moderate intake It can be recommended even for those overweight cats, as its high fiber content helps regulate high levels of glucose and cholesterol in the blood, as well as providing satiety.
Therefore, oatmeal is a good food for cats, as long as we respect adequate amounts to your size, weight and health. In moderate doses, its introduction into their diet will help us to offer a complete and balanced nutrition to our kittens. But excessive consumption could lead to some digestive problems, like diarrhea or gas.
For this reason, it is very important to have the guidance of a veterinarian to find out the ideal doses of oats that you can offer your feline, considering its age, size, weight and health. In addition, with the help of a veterinarian, you can quickly detect and rule out the possibility that your cat has a food allergy or gluten intolerance..
Benefits of oatmeal for cats
In addition to being a highly nutritious food, oats are also considered a healing herb, with beneficial properties for the cat's skin and body..
Next, we summarize the main benefits of oatmeal for cats:
- Its proteins of high biological value can be easily assimilated, allowing the cat to digest them easily and use them optimally.
- It improves the health and appearance of the skin and hair, as it contains B vitamins, folic acid and minerals such as iron, manganese and iron. Oatmeal water for cats is a good homemade solution to add shine to their fur and keep their skin healthy.
- Its fibers help in the regulation of cholesterol and sugar levels in the blood, being able to prevent and help in the treatment of diabetes in cats.
- It is rich in folic acid and biotin, two essential nutrients to stimulate the production of red blood cells in the blood, the synthesis of iron consumed in food and the oxygenation of the body's tissues..
- Its high content of soluble fibers also promote digestion and intestinal transit, being an excellent home remedy for constipation in cats and digestive problems such as diarrhea, gas and vomiting.
- Oats also provide a mild calming effect, and can be offered cooked to alleviate or prevent stress, hyperactivity, nervousness or anxiety in cats..
How to prepare oatmeal for cats?
Although oatmeal is a good food for cats, it is not always easy for our felines to accept it. Raw oats for cats are unattractive and difficult to digest, and can cause digestive disorders.
Therefore, it is best to offer cooked oats to our cats. Remember that milk is not a suitable food for cats, since most adult felines do not have the necessary enzymes to digest lactose. Therefore, we will cook the oats in water, just 5 or 6 minutes.
This technique can also be used to prepare a oatmeal porridge for babies or elderly cats, since they are usually easy to digest and do not require great chewing effort. Logically, we will not add sugar, sweeteners or other chemical additives that could harm the health of our felines.
Another excellent idea is incorporate oatmeal into homemade recipes that we prepare for our cats, being able to also combine it with other beneficial ingredients for cats, such as turmeric or cinnamon. At AnimalWised, we teach you how to prepare tasty gourmet recipes that are one of the best options for preparing oat flakes for cats..
Regarding the recommended amount of oatmeal for felines, the ideal is to consult a veterinarian to identify the optimal doses and the best way to incorporate this food into your cat's diet, considering the specific characteristics and needs of its organism, and the purpose of its consumption.