See Dogs files
The walk is, without a doubt, the best time of day for your dog. In addition to relieving himself, the walk also allows him to feel stimulated and to socialize with other dogs and / or people. Choosing your timetables well is essential to ensure that you have a quality ride and that your day-to-day life is as good as you would expect.
In this AnimalWised article we will explain what they are the best times to walk your dog but we will also offer you exclusive tips so that in each of these hours your dog enjoys the walk like never before.You may also be interested in: 10 reasons to walk your dog
The times to walk the dog
To begin with, it is important to note that dog walks must always be done at the same times, that is, they must be followed a very regular schedule that allows them to anticipate that they will go out on the street. Although a priori it may not seem relevant, the truth is that dogs are animals of habit, so being able to anticipate will help them to be more balanced.
In addition to following a fixed schedule, the frequency of walks can vary from one dog to another: some breeds, such as the border collie, will need between two and four daily walks, but others such as the pug or, for example, a very old dog they will have enough with two. It's not always easy to know how often taking a dog for a walk, but some factors such as age or energy level that we observe can help us.
Now that you know these previous details, we will explain to you what is the best time to walk a dog and what is more convenient to do at each of the times:
During the morning the dog should be able to enjoy the longest walk of the day, which should last between thirty minutes and an hour, depending on the energy of the dog. The ideal is to do this walk very soon or after the opening hours of the offices, when the street is not very busy. It is the perfect time to take you to a park, to the beach or simply to the nearest pipi-can. It is important to note that in the morning the senses are especially sensitive, so allow him to sniff All you want is a good recommendation if we want you to relax and relieve accumulated stress. As an extra we could carry out a searching or sowing abroad or practice smell games at home.
At this time of day, especially in summer, we must be alert, since it's hotter. Brachycephalic dogs (pug, bulldog or boxer) and the elderly could suffer a heat stroke if the walk was too long, so we recommend taking a short walk in the shade, in which they simply relieve themselves, sniffing a little and socializing. The noon walk could be between ten and fifteen minutes.
Many people often choose the afternoon to take their dogs to exercise and / or long walks, although it is not always the most suitable option. At this time of day, big cities are congested by traffic and noise, which causes the dog's stress levels to rise and it cannot relax and enjoy as it would at other times of the day. If we do not have the option of taking our dog to a quiet area in which to enjoy a thirty or sixty minute walk, it is best to take a short and simple walk, lasting a maximum of fifteen or thirty minutes, in which socializing, playing and being active is the main goal.
Finally, the night is usually a quiet time, so it is the right time to promote relaxation of the dog before going to sleep. We recommend taking a very calm, peaceful walk in which the dog can sniff everything he wants without rushing..
Remember that the hours to walk the dog can vary greatly If we live in a city or in the countryside, the important thing is to pay attention to the needs of our dog and adapt the walking schedule so that it enjoys a correct well-being, taking into account the above indications.
Most frequent doubts about the dog walk
Something as simple as the walk can generate many doubts, so we offer you a summary of the most frequently asked questions about this important habit:
- ¿How many times do we have to take a dog for a walk? As we have explained previously, there is no precise schedule for each breed or age, we must experiment according to the needs of our dog, yes, each dog should enjoy a minimum of two daily walks to be happy.
- ¿At what age should we take a dog for a walk for the first time? The puppy's first walk must be fixed by the veterinarian, who will give us the go-ahead once the puppy receives the primary vaccination and the multipurpose reinforcement.
- ¿My dog can get sick if he gets around to urine and feces? In principle, if the dog is correctly vaccinated you have no reason to fear, although as with people, vaccination is not always 100% effective. What is important is that we never scold a dog for sniffing stools since it is something instinctive and a behavior that helps him better understand his environment and the dogs that live in it..
- ¿How to walk a dog without pulling? If your dog has not learned to walk correctly, it is best to teach him using an anti-pull harness type easy walk, you should never use choke or semi-choke collars.
- ¿Where can I take my dog for a walk? In large cities we have authorized places, known as pipi-can. However, if you can take your dog for a walk in the mountains ¡better!
- ¿What if I don't take my dog for a walk? Apart from hygienic problems, not taking your dog for a walk will promote a sedentary lifestyle and consequently obesity. Physical and mental stimulation will also decrease and their socialization will be diminished, which translates into a possible appearance of behavior problems..
- ¿It is better to take a dog for a walk before or after eating? Without a doubt, the best option is to do it before eating, since a very active walk on a full stomach could cause a stomach twist, a serious and fatal health problem in many cases..