The feeding of the toucan

Toucans are birds ccharacterized by having a well-developed beak and above all colorful. They are arboreal birds, which have a straight and strong beak and a very long tongue. The legs have four toes, two toes directed forward and two backward, they are classified together with woodpeckers.

These birds can be found on the American continent, from North America to South America, with the exception of the United States and Canada. They owe their name to the word Tupi Tucana, one of the languages ​​that have their origin in Brazil.

Although not everyone can have a toucan as a pet and it is very difficult to achieve, if you have a toucan or know someone who has it, you will be interested in this AnimalWised article about the feeding of the toucan. You can read the information below.

You may also be interested in: Chinchilla diet Index
  1. Basic diet of the toucan
  2. Complementary diet of the toucan
  3. The water and other details of the toucan's diet
  4. The digestive system of the toucan

Basic diet of the toucan

Toucans eat mainly fruits, This taking into account that they have a digestive system that is based on absorption, since what they consume is discarded in a few hours. Suggested fruits to feed a toucan include:

  • Apple
  • Cantaloupe
  • peach
  • Plantain
  • Pear
  • Mango
  • Kiwi
  • Papaya
  • tuna
  • Strawberry

Among the vegetables recommended for feeding a toucan are:

  • Cucumber
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrot
  • Corn
  • Pea
  • Chayotera or guatila

Complementary diet of the toucan

As well you can feed the toucan with whole wheat bread and meat of mouse or tenebrios, this to complement and balance the diet of the bird, since its basic food must be the fruits. In the wild they can consume small lizards, insects, the eggs of other birds and even youngsters. They use their beak as a pincer, to be able to reach their food.

At the time of feeding the toucan you can give it half or 60% fruit or vegetables minced and the other half or the remaining 40% of some complementary food, always taking care of the iron levels since this can be harmful to the multicolored bird. This food can be boiled rice dumplings with vegetables.

The water and other details of the toucan's diet

The toucans they are animals that don't eat much, it is more than enough that they eat well twice a day, so that they can feel full. You always have to have clean water for toucans, but they are animals that don't drink much.

They are birds that they don't consume much water, Thanks to the fact that the liquids they need are obtained from the fruits they eat, this is one of the reasons why the diet of toucans should be based on these foods. That is why it is not necessary to be alarmed if a toucan does not want to drink, since it is completely normal..

The digestive system of the toucan

The toucan's digestive system does not have a crop, for this reason are unable to digest the seeds as in most birds. In this sense, you must be careful that your bird does not eat any seeds of the fruits or vegetables that it feeds on, you must remove all the seeds. The stomach of toucans is small, so food is quickly discarded after being ingested.

Earlier in this article we talked about take care of the iron levels in the toucan's diet, This is because they are prone to accumulating iron in the liver. To control this, you can base the feeding of the toucan using half the papaya of the total fruit, since it has a low iron content, in addition to being one of the favorite fruits of this beautiful animal.

Leave Your Comment

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here