See Cats files
If you are thinking about adopting a cat, it is very likely that you are wondering what is better, if a male cat or female. This is, without a doubt, a difficult decision, because surely you want to know which one will best suit your family and lifestyle and, therefore, if you can give it the care it deserves..
For this reason, in this AnimalWised article, we want to help you make this choice in the best possible way, explaining the reasons that you should know and value when you decide to host a cat..You may also be interested in: Male or female nymph - What is better and differences Index
- How to choose which cat to adopt?
- Cat characteristics
- Characteristics of cats
- Male or female cat - which one to choose?
How to choose which cat to adopt?
Regardless of gender, there are many other considerations to take into account before adopting a new member of the family. This is because each individual is unique and, therefore, each feline has its own own personality that will adapt to a lesser or greater extent to different habits and lifestyles. The character of your future cat will be shaped by different biological and environmental factors, since genetics (breed), sex (as we will see in this article) and age, added to environmental factors such as past experiences and learning, will determine that your feline has one character or another.
The main features What you should take into account to choose between adopting a cat or a female cat are:
- Age: Generally, people tend to prefer to adopt a puppy cat, as they are at a stage in which they adapt and learn more easily from their environment. However, hosting an adult or elderly cat is usually a good option, especially if you do not have time to offer a basic education, in addition to the fact that young cats are more active and usually require more attention and games. Conversely, older cats generally have a more mature, serene and affectionate character..
- Race: whether your cat is pure or mongrel, getting an idea of its breed will help you identify its physical needs and if it has a tendency to a specific character, for example, if it is rather active, meek, affectionate… To find out what breed your cat belongs to, this other article about The 10 most popular breeds of cats in the world can help you.
- Know their backgroundBefore adopting a cat, in case it is under the care of other people, such as a protector, you should ask about its background. That is, if you have had bad past experiences, such as abuse and / or abandonment. Knowing the past of your feline will be key, so that you will know how his socialization has been, if he has any specific fear or if his process of adaptation to the new environment will be more or less difficult.
- Presence of diseases: In the shelters there is usually the option of adopting cats that suffer from physical "defects" and / or pathologies, commonly FIV (feline AIDS) or leukemia. These felines have it twice as difficult to find a home because they are more delicate, but if you think you can provide the necessary care and affection, adopting one can be a good way to give a second life to cats that will hardly know a family. Now, if you already have cats at home, you should consider whether you want to take the risk, since many of the most common diseases are quite contagious..
And if you are still not sure whether to adopt a cat or another animal, we encourage you to read this other AnimalWised article about 10 reasons to adopt a cat..
Feline behavior is partly influenced by sex. It is not strange then that you try to find out what characterizes and differentiates males from females.
As a general rule, but avoiding the mistaken belief that all cats of the same sex have the same behavior, female cats tend to be more loving and homely. They tend to seek physical contact frequently, want to feel safe in their trusted environment, and they are usually protective with yours. This need stems from the instinct of wanting to have a nest or shelter in which to feel comfortable and protected in case of having a litter. In this sense, cats tend to tolerate less sudden changes in habits and environment, due to this need to have everything under control..
Another point to keep in mind is that females present periods of zeal, usually between spring and summer. During these stages, the cats pass stress and anxiety, they meow very frequently (especially at night), may spray urine around the house (not always), and run away. This behavior is, as you may have already learned, problematic. Well, it is a danger for your cat, a nuisance for you and your neighbors, and there is a risk that she could become pregnant, which causes the uncontrolled growth of the cat population, which, unfortunately, are not always taken in by families that deserve and love them, ending up mistreated and / or abandoned many times.
However, there is a very advisable solution to this problem, and it is the neutering or sterilization of your cat. In this way you will prevent from the root the vast majority of factors that can harm your feline and, you will avoid health problems such as developing ovarian cysts.
Characteristics of cats
With regard to male cats, they stand out for having a character plus Independent and lively than the females. Well these, unlike females who need to be calm at home because of the possibility of being mothers, males usually have a active sex life in which they usually go out in search of females in heat.
This behavior is often problematic, as they tend to slip away and wander due to the need they have to explore and travel long distances away from home, therefore, there is the risk of an accident.
In addition, males usually get into conflicts with other males due to competition for territory and females in heat, a fact that implies that your cat suffers damages such as scratches and infectious bites, and the possibility of contracting diseases more easily.
For this reason, it is always advisable to castrate to your cat as soon as possible, before he develops his sexual behavior. Since, as you have seen, it will be the safest option for your pet.
On the contrary, if you think that your cat will not be able to escape from home and that for this reason you do not have to worry about neutering him, the truth is that your cat will feel anxious and irritable because he will not be able to leave the home despite his sexual behavior being asks for it. This impossibility will generate a lot of stress in your feline and it will make it easier for him to develop behavior problems.
However, by neutering your cat you will make him feel calm, as he will not have this need by lowering the level of his sex hormones, so he will develop a more character loving and meek and, in addition, it will surely reduce and / or eliminate the behavior of spray with urine home (It depends on how old it is), which usually smells quite bad and does it to mark territory, warning other cats to stay away.
Male or female cat - which one to choose?
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of having a male or female cat, to make the right decision about which sex to adopt, it is important to take into account your needs and preferences, as well as whether you can meet the basic care of your future pet. Thus, there is no correct answer to whether a male or female cat is better, but rather it will depend on the type of partner you are looking for.