See Hamster files
The hamster feeding It is an aspect that we must not neglect if we intend to offer you the best possible quality of life and maintain your health in perfect condition. In this sense, the most advisable thing is to base it on a dry feed preparation made with grains, nuts and seeds, mainly. However, this type of diet may present some deficiencies that we must cover through fruits and vegetables..
But, ¿which ones can hamsters eat? We know that there is a list of foods that are highly toxic to them and other animals, that is why we must inform ourselves and consult with the veterinarian before proceeding to introduce any product into their diet. Keep reading this AnimalWised article and discover the fruits and vegetables suitable for hamsters.You may also be interested in: Fruits and vegetables for pogonas Index
- Benefits of fruits and vegetables for my hamster
- Good fruits for my hamster
- Good vegetables for my hamster
- How to give fruits and vegetables to my hamster
Benefits of fruits and vegetables for my hamster
For our hamster to stay in perfect condition, it is essential to provide it with a varied diet, rich in fiber and with a low fat content. Keep in mind that these small rodents have a tendency to obesity if we do not measure the amount of food or the products that we offer them, that is why we must pay close attention to their diet and follow the best diet for them.
The hamster preparations sold in specialized pet stores, made from seeds, cereals, nuts and green foods, are rich in fiber, antioxidants and carbohydrates, so their diet should be composed mainly of this type I think. For their part, fruits and vegetables are a great source of essential vitamins, fiber and minerals for your body, among other benefits.
As you can see, basing the hamster's diet solely on fruits and vegetables is a big mistake, since they lack many properties that we can only offer them through the aforementioned preparation. However, not introducing them in its diet is also important, since we would deprive the animal of multiple essential nutrients for its correct evolution, resulting in a poorly developed intestinal flora. Also, many of the fruits contain a high percentage of sugars, beneficial in small amounts but very harmful in large amounts. Therefore, it is essential to be well informed about the fruits and vegetables that are good for them, as well as the correct way to provide them..
Good fruits for my hamster
In addition to covering some of the nutritional deficiencies of dry feed, fruits help to provide our hamster with the amount of fluid your body needs. In this sense, it is vitally important that your drinker is always filled with fresh water. Here are the best fruits for hamsters:
- Pear. With a very low caloric intake, rich in fiber, vitamins A, B, C and E, the pear is one of the best fruits for these small rodents because it helps them regulate their intestinal transit and purify the body. To give it, you must clean it well, leave the skin, remove the seeds, the stem and the heart, cut it into small cubes and provide it in small quantities every two weeks.
- Apple. This fruit is highly beneficial for our hamster not only because of its fiber content and important digestive properties, but also because it helps to strengthen the teeth when gnawing on it. To do this, it is best to clean the apple well, remove the seeds, cut it with the skin into not very thick slices and provide some of these slices to gnaw them and exercise your jaw. As it is a fruit with a higher caloric content, you should give it moderately, remember that hamsters are prone to obesity.
- Peach. Being composed of a high water content, they are perfect to ensure that our little companion always stays hydrated, especially during the hot months. In addition, the peach is rich in carbohydrates, also essential for the proper functioning of your body. In this case, you must remove the skin, the bone and chop it well before giving it to him..
- Plums. Like pears, plums are highly beneficial for regulating and improving the intestinal transit of our hamster thanks to their high fiber content. At the time of giving them, we have to wash them well, remove the skin, the bone and chop them.
- Apricots. They are rich in vitamins A and C, and essential minerals for the hamster's body. Likewise, it also favors intestinal transit, so they are ideal to include in your diet. As with peaches, we must remove the skin, the pit and chop them to give them.
- Watermelon and melon. Both are composed mainly of water, so they are perfect for rodents that live in hot climates, are little drinker or need an extra supply of liquid. Of course, especially watermelon, as it also has a high sugar content, we must be cautious and provide these fruits very sparingly, without seeds and well chopped..
- Strawberries. Rich in fiber, vitamin C and essential minerals, strawberries help purify our hamster's body and regulate intestinal transit. However, we must also be careful and provide this fruit from time to time, washed, chopped and without the leaves..
- Kiwi. This fruit has a low caloric intake, a large amount of vitamins C and E, and fiber, so we can give you small portions every two weeks to support your digestive system, keep you healthy and strong. We must always give it peeled and chopped.
Good vegetables for my hamster
As we mentioned, vegetables provide our hamster with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and, above all, they are low in fat. The best vegetables for hamsters are:
- Green peas. They promote the cardiovascular health of our hamster, have a low caloric intake and regulate blood sugar levels. In this way, we see how peas are very beneficial for them, especially for those who need to reduce their body weight.
- Spinach. Being a great natural source of fiber and antioxidants, spinach favors intestinal transit and reduces cellular oxidation, a very important fact to extend the quality of life of our rodent as much as possible..
- Lettuce. Undoubtedly, this vegetable is one of the most popular in home diets for hamsters and other rodents, and its fiber, iron and antioxidant content provide them with great benefits. Of course, always in small quantities, since an excess can cause negative effects and seriously damage your liver.
- Carrot. The most beneficial part of this food is the leaf, so it is ideal to provide our hamster with washed and chopped carrot leaves from time to time. The fruit itself, we can only give it without skin and chopped in small quantities to strengthen its teeth and jaw.
- Fennel. This vegetable is highly beneficial to combat gastrointestinal problems and regulate your metabolism and digestive system. Its high fiber content, low caloric intake and antioxidant properties mean that we can give it to you without problems in moderate amounts and from time to time..
- Zucchini. The same thing happens with this food as with the previous one, it is rich in fiber and essential minerals that are very important for the correct development of our hamster's body. We will have to give it without shell and well chopped.
- Potatoes. This product is very beneficial for our hamster as long as we remove the poisonous shoots, if it has them. You can give him a well-chopped potato every two weeks.
How to give fruits and vegetables to my hamster
As we mentioned at the beginning, fruits and vegetables help properly develop the intestinal flora of our hamster. An incorrect diet can cause the appearance of digestive problems, such as diarrhea, due to the lack of essential nutrients.
The ideal is to start introducing these foods into the diet of our rodent from a young age, as soon as we wean them. To do this, it is best to follow a gradual process, that is, introduce fruits and vegetables little by little so that your body adapts and assimilates them correctly. Of course, before getting down to work, remember that you must make sure that your pet is completely free of parasites, so do not hesitate to take him to the vet to examine him and advise you on the best foods for him..
When we start giving our hamster fruits and vegetables for the first time, we will one by one to check for any intolerance or allergy. That is, we will not prepare a food bowl with mixed fruits or assorted vegetables until we are completely sure that those foods are good for him. To check that everything is correct, we will try to give it a specific fruit or vegetable for two or three days in a row, always as a complement to the feed and in small quantities. If we observe any negative behavior or symptoms of digestive disorder, we will immediately remove that food.
It is essential to always give the right amount that the hamster will eat during the day, neither more nor less. In case of fruit or vegetables left over, we will remove it so that it does not spoil and cause intoxication to the animal. Remember that we should not give this type of food to our little rodent every day, after the three days of testing we will leave a few days of rest and we will try another food.
Each breed of hamster requires particular needs, which is why it is essential that consult with the vet Before providing any homemade diet, he will know how to advise you on how to give fruits and vegetables and how often.