See Parakeets files
Parakeets are birds that are characterized by their friendly and sociable nature and by their ease of adapting to the domestic environment, so it is not surprising that many bird lovers do not hesitate to host a parakeet in their home..
However, when it comes to this type of bird there is no doubt, two are better than one, since this species lives in a group when it is in its natural habitat and once in captivity it does not tolerate solitude well, so one recommendation as generic as necessary is to be able to provide our pet with a companion.
Finally, you should know that when it comes to having a pair of parakeets the most successful combination is male and female, but in no case is it advisable to host two females, since as we will see, due to the nature of their behavior, the result can be disastrous..
If you are passionate about parakeets, another important aspect to take into account to properly identify your pets are the differences between male and female parakeet, and in this article we show you what they are.You may also be interested in: Coexistence between male and female dogs Index
- Colors in the male and female parakeet
- Palpation of the parakeet
- Character differences between the male and female parakeet
- Are you passionate about parakeets?
Colors in the male and female parakeet
One of the main differences between a male and female parakeet is color, but contrary to what you may initially think, we are not referring to the color of its plumage, but to the color of the wax..
The wax is a membrane that covers the bird's nostrils and that we can clearly see in the upper part of the beak, let's see how to differentiate the sex of our parakeet through coloring in this area:
- Males: We will find the wax blue or pink..
- Females: The wax can be bluish-white or brown, we must bear in mind that the brown color intensifies during the mating season..
This differentiation can be clearly observed in adult parakeets that have already acquired a definitive color, since before the adult stage it can be more complex since the wax is of a pale pink color in both sexes, however, in the male we will observe a more uniform color and in females a lighter color, almost white, around the orifices.
Palpation of the parakeet
We can appreciate anatomical differences between the male and female parakeet, although not with the naked eye, so it will be necessary to resort to palpation.
The difference to which we refer is a cavity that females have for the passage of eggs, and which is obviously absent in the male's anatomy. In order to appreciate this difference, we must take the parakeet between our hands with extreme care and gently feel the area of the lower abdomen..
Appreciating this anatomical difference through palpation is really very complex if you are not used to it, so this method is not recommended since most of the time we only manage to scare and stress our pet.
Character differences between male and female parakeets
We are not mistaken if we affirm that each animal has a unique character, but we can distinguish more generic behavioral differences between both sexes, let's see how our parakeet behaves depending on whether it is male or female:
- Male: The male parakeet is very sociable, calm and confident and stands out for singing for a long time. We can also observe a genuine behavior during courtship, since the male initiates an up-down movement with his head and sometimes may even hit his beak with an object..
- Female: Females are more aggressive, harsh and elusive. They do not chirp and if they do it is only intermittently and for something in particular, during courtship they remain still and we can distinguish in them a more destructive instinct, they break and bite more objects, partly because they are in charge of making the nest during breeding.
We must bear in mind that we can find females with characteristic features of males at the behavioral level, and vice versa.
Are you passionate about parakeets?
If you are passionate about parakeets and you are thinking of hosting one of them (although the ideal is two), in addition to knowing the differences between male and female parakeet It will also be very useful to establish what the care of the parakeet is, know how you should act if your parakeet presents excessive growth of the beak and how you can train a papillero parakeet.