See Cats files
Cats are wild animals that can adapt to domestic life without any problem. However, and despite their innate strength, they are susceptible to certain health problems and it is not difficult for these animals to manifest digestive disorders.
As owners we must be informed about the pathologies that can most frequently affect our feline, since in this way we will know how to act appropriately to preserve their health and well-being. Therefore, in this AnimalWised article we talk about the soft diet for cats with diarrhea.You may also be interested in: Diets for dogs with diabetes Index
- Symptoms of diarrhea in cats
- Causes of diarrhea in cats
- Soft diet for cats with diarrhea
- The transition to the standard diet
Symptoms of diarrhea in cats
The main symptoms that warn us that our cat suffers from diarrhea are mainly more frequent and liquid stools. However, other symptoms may also appear, especially in chronic situations:
- Presence of blood in the stool
- Signs of pain when having a bowel movement
- Decreased appetite
- Decrease in weight
- Urgency to defecate
Causes of diarrhea in cats
Diarrhea in cats can be caused by various disorders:
- Intolerance to dairy or certain foods
- Food poisoning
- Ingestion of hairballs
- Changes in diet
- Bacterial or viral infection
- Allergic reaction
- Intestinal parasites
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Renal disease
- Liver disease
- Tumors in the digestive tract
Due to the multiple causes of diarrhea in cats, if it lasts for more than a day it will be essential that you go to the vet, since although it is true that dietary treatment through a soft diet is essential, sometimes it must also be accompanied drug treatment.
Soft diet for cats with diarrhea
In the soft diet for cats with diarrhea we will use basically two foods:
- Chicken: it must be well boiled and free of skin, bones and fat. It will provide the necessary proteins.
- Rice: In addition to providing easy-to-use energy, boiled rice will absorb water in the digestive tract and increase the consistency of the stool, so it is of great importance that our cat eats it, even if it is not one of the foods that he likes the most..
The hydration It will also be essential to maintain an adequate level of electrolytes in the body of our cat. For this we will use water and isotonic drinks.
Before starting the soft diet, we can leave our cat fasting for 24 hours, giving him only fluids. The soft diet should be maintained for a minimum of three days.
The transition to the standard diet
After three days of a soft diet to combat diarrhea, we can begin to gradually mix the boiled chicken with rice together with the feed, having previously made a review about what type of balanced food we are giving our cat, since poor quality feed can cause diarrhea.
It is recommended that you ask your veterinarian for advice about probiotics for cats, since they will allow to restore the intestinal flora of our pet and prevent a new episode of diarrhea.