See Dogs files
Two of the most common questions regarding dog feeding are: ¿how much should my dog eat? Y ¿how often do you have to feed it? The answers to these two questions depend on many factors such as the age of the dog, its level of physical activity, diseases or clinical conditions that it may present, dog food that you offer, etc..
The best person to tell you how much and how often you should feed your dog is undoubtedly your veterinarian, especially if we are talking about a puppy or elderly dog. However, at AnimalWised we offer you some tips that can help you with regard to schedules and amounts of food for your pet..
Discover how many times should a dog eat a day following:You may also be interested in: How many times does a cat eat? Index
- How to choose a good dog food?
- How often should a puppy eat?
- How often should an adult dog eat?
- The right amount of food for the dog
How to choose a good dog food?
To begin with, you should know that the dog, regardless of its age or breed, will need a quality food whether it is feed or homemade food. If you have doubts, you can always go to a veterinarian for guidance, but the basics will be to guide us by their size and physical activity. You can buy the best food for your dog in this link.
For example; in the market there are specific feed for giant dogs that are high in calcium. That is perfect as it helps to strengthen bones that will have to bear a lot of weight. Do not forget that there are many different varieties:
- Toy dogs
- Small dogs
- Medium dogs
- Big dogs
- Giant dogs
Finally, remember that the dog is an animal that appreciates routine and perseverance. This helps you orient yourself and feel comfortable in your surroundings. For this reason it is advisable to always choose the same times and places of food intake. Either in one, two or three takes. Choosing properly the feed for our dog is vital, you should know that many dogs do not want to eat feed since it is not suitable for them or it is of low quality..
You can always combine the feed with a little homemade food or wet food.
How often should a puppy eat?
In general terms, the frequency with which you should feed your dog is higher when it is a puppy and decreases as it grows. Unless your dog has a clinical condition that demands different frequencies, you can use the following recommendations as a general guide:
- Puppies up to 8 weeks of age- Up to 8 weeks of age, puppies feed on mother's milk, so they must be with their mother and siblings. Separating them prematurely is detrimental to good socialization, in addition to the fact that artificial food, such as artificial formula, does not provide adequate protection for the little one.
From the third or fourth week you can start offering them some small semi-solid bites so that they get used to solid food. For this, you can mix some puppy food with water.
After six weeks you can already offer the puppies puppy food about 4 times a day (check with the vet to choose the food), but they should still have the possibility of drinking breast milk. Remember to always choose a quality food and adapted to its size.
- Puppies 2 to 3 months of age: they should receive food at least 4 times a day. In some very small breeds, such as Chihuahuas or Yorkshire Terriers, it may be necessary to feed the puppies about 5 times a day to avoid hypoglycemia.
- Puppies 3 to 6 months of age: at this stage the puppy is already very accustomed to solid food. We will start reducing your usual dose for fewer intakes. They should receive food 3 times a day.
- Puppies 6 months to 1 year old: at this time your dog should start receiving food only twice a day. This will help you better keep schedules and adjust to your next adult life..
- Dogs over 1 year of age: from the year of life, the dog can eat once or twice a day. Some people find it more comfortable to feed their dogs only once a day, while others find it better to give them the same ration spread out in the morning and afternoon.
The puppy dog stage is very important for good development. This means that a quality feed, an adequate routine and a moderate feed will be essential. Do not forget to go to your vet to make sure that your puppy develops well.
How often should an adult dog eat?
Adult dogs can safely feed on one or two daily intakes. At this stage, its digestive system is stronger and more stable, and unlike what happens with other animals, the dog does not need to eat regularly to keep its intestinal transit active..
Do not forget occasionally vary your menu so that you feel motivated and happy to receive food to your liking. Also, in the adult dog's diet, we must include the rewards that we will use to reward it using positive reinforcement..
You can offer your dog all kinds of snacks if he is at a healthy weight and you consider that he completely burns the caloric intake. However, if you have doubts, you can choose to buy low calorie snacks. Although these tend to be slightly more expensive, they are very beneficial in preventing obesity in dogs..
The right amount of food for the dog
On average, adult dogs eat around 2% or 3% of your body weight every day. However, this depends on the age of the dog, the caloric intake of the food in question, the physical activity that your dog performs and the optimal weight for his size and physical build..
As it is not possible to give general guidelines for all these factors, the same bags of feed for dogs offer general recommendations based on weight. Use these recommendations as a general guide and from them decide if you are going to give him a little more or a little less than what is indicated on the bag. Keep in mind that very active dogs (for example, who do dog sports such as agility or go jogging with you), will need a little more food than dogs that do not do much physical activity. Always check the packaging of your pet's food and follow the instructions marked.
In any case, it is important that you weigh your dog once a month to see if it maintains, reduces or increases its weight. If you think that your dog has weight problems or you have any questions about the amount to give, consult your veterinarian.