Animal file: Yorkshire terrier
We know that small breed dogs are truly genuine and that their tiny structure often houses a great personality that blends perfectly and fairly with sweetness, affection and intelligence..
This is the case of the Yorkshire terrier, a breed originally from Great Britain, which, far from being conceived as a breed of hunters to control certain pests, was conceived to be pampered and pampered, which has led to multiple prejudices towards the dogs of this breed , who often lack adequate education.
¿Do you have a Yorkie or are you thinking of taking in one of them? Then you should know that training is of great importance for this dog. In this AnimalWised article we offer you several tips for raising a yorkshire.You may also be interested in: Tips to train dogs Index
- The temperament of the yorkshire terrier
- The Yorkshire is a dog, not a little child
- Positive reinforcement
- Walking the yorkshire
- Avoid dangerous ingestions
- Never stop working with your Yorkshire
The temperament of the yorkshire terrier
Some varieties of Yorkshire do not weigh even 1 kilo in adulthood, but despite this they are always characterized by having a marked and genuine temperament, of which we can highlight the following features:
- It is a dog full of energy that manifests jumping, barking, shaking continuously ..., etc. The owner must help channel this energy productively to avoid having a hysterical and anxious dog.
- His nature is neither submissive nor obedient, as he possesses a strong territorial instinct.
- It is a truly intelligent dog with an excellent memory, so it can learn quickly.
- He is sweet and affectionate, he is even considered a prototype of a lap dog, however, he is also very demanding with his owner, needing his contact and his presence on a very continuous basis..
- His extraordinary auditory system makes him one of the best watchdogs, as well as many small breeds.
- It is a home and family dog, so much so that it clearly perceives any change in routine, despite this it must be recognized that it is not a patient dog with children.
- The yorkshire needs toys, as it loves to play and its nature is very cheerful.
- Get along well with other pets, as long as guidelines are established for coexistence.
- His character can be easily balanced, however, for this he needs daily walks.
As we can see, his temperament is very marked, as well as adorable, but this requires that we know how to train a yorkshire correctly.
The Yorkshire is a dog, not a little child
One of the main problems we encounter when talking about Yorkshire terrier training it is precisely its sweetness, affection and its truly adorable expression, which together with its tiny size, make this dog an ideal pet to pamper and pamper.
Many of the behavioral problems of this breed are given by the attitude of the owners, who treat their pets as if they were small children, when they are dogs that we harm on numerous occasions by wanting to humanize them.
To be able to discipline a Yorkshire Terrier and stand firm Before his adorable expression, we must be clear about the following:
- It is a capricious dog, so to educate it it is necessary not to spoil it.
- We must not pamper him excessively, he needs affection, but not as much as a baby may need..
- We must not give in to him when he simply asks us for love, but we must give it to him when he deserves it.
Due to the characteristics of the Yorkshire, complying with these premises can be difficult, but it is absolutely necessary.
All dogs need to learn through positive reinforcement, which we could summarize as follows: do not scold for mistakes and reward for successes.
Positive reinforcement consists of rewarding our dog with caresses, affectionate words or canine treats (or all these stimuli in parallel) when he has executed an order in an appropriate way.
On the contrary, for educate a yorkshire, You should not hit him (obviously) and you should not yell at him, as this will put him in a state of stress and anxiety that will not allow him a good learning.
What is very important is that you show yourself as an owner who is not willing to give in, who is able to dominate the situation and who will maintain his position. For example, if you want your pet not to get on the sofa, do not let it perform this action under any circumstances, if one day you allow it to exceed that limit, it is very likely that it will do it again even if you do not consent to it..
Remember, with a Yorkshire it is very important to clearly mark the limits and not give in once they have been established.
Walking the yorkshire
To start your pet on his daily walks it is important that you get used to him progressively, in this way you can fully enjoy the walks, since you will achieve educate the yorkshire.
First you must get him used to the use of the collar, putting it on from the first stages so that he can feel comfortable with it, and only when he has become accustomed to noticing the collar, will we proceed to place the leash and take him out for a walk.
Let the dog move freely on the leash so that he experiences the sensation, then you must teach him the basic command "come".
To avoid unwanted jerks during the walk, it is important that you teach him to walk next to you, so you should keep his head close to your leg.
Avoid dangerous ingestions
It's very important train your yorkshire to avoid any accidental ingestion that could be harmful to him, since they are very active and energetic dogs, which in their eagerness to discover their environment can damage many objects, or what is worse, harm themselves.
To do this, you must work with edible treats, which you will leave on the ground to teach the command "leave it ", in this way the dog will learn to keep distance with the possible objects that could be found.
Never stop working with your Yorkshire
We believe that yorkshire education It is a process that takes place only during the puppy stage, but you must be reinforcing his behavior during the adult stage as well, in order to maintain the balance of his temperament.
The Yorkshire is a very familiar dog, so if you are willing to take one of them we recommend that you inform yourself as much as possible about separation anxiety, and finally we complement all the information that we have given you with several training tricks canine.