During the Christmas holidays, pets, who are one more member of the family, should also celebrate with us this special moment without forgetting that sometimes they require special cares. These dates, where gifts, meals and visits abound, we tend to have a high level of stress, which will also affect our pets..
At AnimalWised we want to help you so that the whole family enjoys the holidays and for this we will guide you to know how take care of pets at Christmas. ¿How can we avoid stress or how to act when they already have it?You may also be interested in: Tips for caring for small cats Index
- Christmas and pets
- Pyrotechnics and pets
- Christmas trips
- Christmas games, gifts and recipes
Christmas and pets
Christmas is a very special time: the whole house is dressed in Christmas colors, lights, tablecloths and special foods, appropriate to the hemisphere where we celebrate.
¿But what about our pets? It does not matter if it is a rabbit, cat, or any other pet that shares these days with us, many times, the only company will be her and for them, us, so it will not be enough to change the color feeder , make him some cookies or dress him with a Christmas hat, we must give him a differential treatment and share the essence of Christmas with our pets.
Many times we do not need to make a expensive or large gift sometimes, with a few hours of walk in the park and brand new toy, achieves. It is important to make them participate in the event, if we have a gift with our name under the tree, ¿because they can't have the same?
Pyrotechnics and pets
Some animals don't suffer with the noises of fireworks but there are others that are very disturbed, as a result, there are owners who choose to offer tranquilizers on these dates.
The consequences suffered by animals that are disturbed are often irremediable: they escape from home, losing their way and not being able to return home. Others bark all night or hide shaking in the bathroom or under the bed. To help you go through this situation we offer you some advices:
- Putting your dog or cat an identification plate, if it does not already have it, is essential. Especially those animals that suffer and that also have access to the outside must be correctly identified in case they escape..
- On the holiday day, increase your physical activity so that at night you are more tired than usual. Practicing obedience, playing with the ball or exercising actively are some ideas.
- Do not leave him tied up or alone since anxiety can hang himself.
- If he wants to hide, let him. You can even prepare a "nest " in which he feels safe and comfortable. Some animals appreciate being able to enjoy a dark and remote place in which to take refuge.
- If they are in a new or unfamiliar environment, don't leave him alone.
- If he is alone at home, put on music and leave his favorite toys nearby. You can even look for some that combine mental stimulation and food, since this way they will spend more time entertained.
- If he has no appetite, do not force him to eat.
Natural remedies to calm cats and dogs
- Allopathic tranquilizers: the best known is Accepromazine, whose doses must be prescribed by a veterinarian since otherwise our pet may suffer side effects. It is not a harmless drug.
- Homeopathic tranquilizers: more used than the previous one, it should also be indicated by a homeopathic veterinarian or therapist. The most used is Aconitum.
- Bach flowers: they should be indicated by flower therapists to give the most appropriate in these cases, according to the pet and the situation that will live. The most used are Aspen or Red Chesnut.
- Valerian: it is a well-known medicinal plant worldwide and is easy for anyone to handle.
If we decide to spend Christmas away from home, we must bear in mind what we will do with our pet. If we choose take our pet with us, we must consider that the destination will be a totally new environment, added to the strange noises and different smells, we will have an animal, in general, something stressed, nervous and even scared.
It is best to choose to get to the new place with more time than the general so that you can get used to it as well as possible. In addition, we should not leave it alone in a room, allowing it to always have us visible. Finally we recommend trying to bring all your things with which you feel most comfortable: feeders, blankets, toys...
In case that he stayedand at home we can leave it with someone you trust or, if it only remains to foresee that the environment is safe so that it suffers as little as possible. Do not leave windows open or, what is better, nothing different from what he has when we go out for a walk and he stays alone for a few hours.
Finally, we remember that there are veterinary clinics and residences where we can leave our pet if we go on vacation. Find a place where they take care of pets at Christmas and offer them a positive treatment.
Christmas games, gifts and recipes
There are many games that we can share with our pets. Just like we like to play with the children of the house, we can spend a little more time to our furry family. There are toys that we can make ourselves at home but you can also take advantage of these dates to get a gift for your partner.
Apart from the toys and other gifts that you want to share with your pet, you can take advantage of the time that the holidays offer us to prepare a tasty recipe, always in accordance with its species and limitations. Discover some Christmas recipes for dogs and other Christmas recipes for cats.