See Dogs files
Animals, like us humans, also age and do so with greater speed than us. ¿What are the most noticeable signs of the passage of time? ¿How can I know how old a dog is if I don't know exactly when it was born? This question is very common in adopted animals.
At AnimalWised we want to help you so that you can answer this question yourself, without having to go to a veterinarian. There are very noticeable signs that allow us to know how to know the age of a dog and here we will tell you.You may also be interested in: The ideal age to adopt an Index puppy
- Is a dog year equal to 7 human years?
- How to tell the age of a puppy
- How to know the age of an adult dog
Is a dog year equal to 7 human years?
For years, many people tried to find out the age of the dog in human years, however, it is not a reliable source to determine the degree of old age of the dog and it is not useful to know its age if we do not know it.
¿What if we want to celebrate his birthday but we don't know what number to put on the cake? It is usual that it is very difficult for us to know the exact age and, sometimes we err thinking that, due to gray hair, the dog is over 6 years old. Not all races age in the same way, but there is a detail that can never lie to us. ¿You know what we are talking about?
How to tell the age of a puppy
We will start by highlighting that they are the teeth will reveal the age of our dog. However, in the case of puppies it is even more important to know their age, even more than in adults, since depending on this we will know if they should drink milk or if they already eat solid food. It is best to open your mouth, but there are other information that will help us:
- From 7 to 15 days of life: At this stage the puppies do not have teeth. They are guided by tactile stimuli since they have eyes and ears still closed. At this stage they have several reflexive or involuntary responses, pure stimulus. We will have the sucking reflex that, when bringing something to their lips, they will grasp it and press it as if it were a breast to obtain their food. In the case of the perineal reflex, the mother would be in charge of activating it by licking, but we can tap the anus to see that it closes and opens without problems and the excavation reflex where they push any surface looking for the heat of their mother and her moms.
- From 15 to 21 days of life: Upper incisors (they are 6) and fangs (they are 2) of milk appear. In small breeds they usually take longer. In this stage they open their eyes and ears. The reflections disappear and they are already walking, looking for mischief and their food. They will still drink milk but teeth that had not yet appeared begin to appear.
We will have absence of teeth until 15 days of life, at which time the incisors and temporary or milk canines appear (between 15 and 21 days). Then the remaining ones evolve and after months of life they will change for the definitive ones that are 42 pieces.
- From 21 to 30 days of life: lower incisors and fangs of the jaw appear.
- From the month of life up to 3 months: here occurs the wear of the milk teeth or shaving. Remember that milk teeth are thinner and more squared than permanent teeth, which will be somewhat more rounded until they are shaved or worn..
- At 4 months: we will observe the eruption of the final central incisors, and they will be present in both jaws.
- Up to 8 months: definitive change of all incisors and fangs.
- Until the year of life: all the permanent incisors have come out. They will be very white and with rounded edges or "fleur de lis" as they are known. The definitive fangs are also already found.
How to know the age of an adult dog
- From the year and a half of life to two and a half years: We can appreciate a wear or shaving of the lower central incisors, which will begin to show a more square shape.
- From 3 to four and a half years: We will appreciate that the 6 lower incisors will become square, mainly due to wear.
- From 5 to 6 years of life: the wear of the upper incisors due to shaving will be evident, ours is in the years before old age.
- From 6 years of life: greater wear will be observed on all teeth, there is more tartar and the fangs also become more square than pointed. They can also lose pieces, but it will depend on the diet of our dog and the lifestyle it leads. From this moment the dog prepares to enter its stage of old age, which begins at 7 years of life.
If despite reading this article you still do not know how to identify the age of your dog, whether it is an adult or a puppy, do not hesitate to go to your vet trustworthy.