Warm summer afternoons bring a lot of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are very annoying and drive dogs crazy. Mosquitoes bite not only people, but also pets. These insects are sometimes a much greater danger to dogs than for humans.
Mosquitoes and intruding mosquitoes are not averse to feasting on the blood of pets And these bites often go unnoticed by the dog owner. But this does not mean that the animal tolerates them easily..
Short-haired and hairless dogs often suffer from insect bites. The medium to long haired breeds have a natural hair protection. However, they also have vulnerabilities: ears and muzzle.
- What are the risks for dogs if they are bitten by mosquitoes?
- Allergic reactions
- How to protect your dog from mosquitoes?
What are the risks for dogs if they are bitten by mosquitoes?
Of course it is not difficult to notice an allergy to a mosquito bite in a dog: As a general rule, this place swells, itches, and the local temperature rises. If there are many bites, the swelling can be quite severe.
Other danger is that mosquitoes, through a sting, can infect an animal with a disease such as heartworm. This heartworm is a special type of parasite that lives under the skin, muscles, lungs, and sometimes even the heart of a dog. A person can also become infected with heartworm, but in his body the worm does not reach the sexual maturity and therefore it is not so dangerous. Parasites in the bodies of dogs develop very quickly and can lead to embolism and thrombosis without the proper treatment.
Prevent a hazard it is much easier than getting rid of the effects of a bite. In addition, today in pet stores and veterinary pharmacies you can easily find a mosquito repellent suitable for dogs. As they are?
How to protect your dog from mosquitoes?
The most popular means of protection are the collar, the spray and the drops.
A mosquito collar for dogs it is a long-lasting remedy. When used regularly, it is believed that it can protect the animal for 5-6 months. In this case, the remedy usually acts not only on mosquitoes, but also on fleas and ticks..
One of the most popular remedies is mosquito repellent spray for dogs. As a general rule, these drugs work from a week to a month. Sprays are also effective against other insects, such as fleas and ticks.
If we are treating the dog with spray, we must not forget that it cannot be bathed. If you bathe, the water will wash away the medicine.
Therefore, we must not forget to re-spray the pet with a spray each time a procedure with water is performed..
The mosquito drops they are effective for up to 8 weeks. Most manufacturers offer a comprehensive protection against various insects. Water-resistant preparations are produced in the form of drops. This means that if the dog is caught in the rain or bathes in a pond, the drops will not stop acting..
You should only buy dog protection from your vet or pet store. You should not buy them in supermarkets or in the market to avoid counterfeits.
Rules for using mosquito repellent:
- Read the instructions carefully before use. Follow the manufacturer's instructions as not all products are used or work the same;
- You have to pay close attention to the expiration date of the product;
- Often after applying the drug, the dog must be temporarily isolated from other pets and make sure that it does not lick itself;
- The drops are applied to the dog's withers so that the animal cannot reach and lick it. You need to remember this and not iron your pet for some time after application, so as not to erase the drug;
- If you have a pregnant or nursing dog, a weakened animal or a puppy, choose special preparations for this category of pets. A veterinary pharmacy specialist will recommend the best option.
You can often hear about home remedies to protect dogs from insects, but they will not always have an effect, in addition, they can harm the animal. Therefore, it is better to refrain from using strong-smelling substances, especially applying them to the pet's fur..