The domestic canaries (Serinus canaria domestica) are especially beautiful animals and, in fact, one of the best singing birds. Precisely for this reason, many people enjoy their tenure, however, it may happen that lately your partner does not sing quite well. ¿What can we do then? ¿How to improve the song of the canary?
It is important to understand why you stopped singing if you did it well before or if the conditions we offer you are suitable for you to develop your potential. Precisely to solve your doubts, in this AnimalWised article we will explain everything you need to know:You may also be interested in: Make a canary sing in 5 steps Index
- Why doesn't my canary sing?
- Care for the canary to sing better
- Home remedy to improve the song of the canary
Why doesn't my canary sing?
There are several reasons that can cause a canary sing bad and even, stop singing. Identifying which is the one that affects our bird is essential to be able to solve it. Some of the most common reasons are:
- Sex: remember that, although some females sing, it is the males that emit the best melodies. In the case of having a female we will never hear the same types of songs.
- Age: it is usually the parents who teach their youngsters to sing, however, it is a gradual process that can take up to seven months.
- Change: the molting process of canaries usually lasts about 2-3 months and is a completely natural period. It is normal that at this moment they stop singing. We will offer you more vitamins and better care.
- Stress or fear: the presence of predators, such as dogs and cats, can cause our canary to be afraid. Likewise, an excessively confined environment can cause stress. In these cases we must improve their conditions to other more optimal.
- Diseases: there are various pathologies that can cause our canary to stop singing or sing badly. If you have recently sung a lot and stopped, you may have forced yourself too much, in which case it will be a good idea to give them more calm and quiet time. Performing a veterinary check-up to rule out parasites, such as fleas or mites, may also be advisable.
- Others: There are many reasons, such as cold baths, changes in temperature or the wrong location. Paying attention to our canary and offering him good care is key.
Care for the canary to sing better
It is important to remember that our birds need to receive good care and a complete diet. Well-being has a direct impact on their health, song, longevity or feathers. Therefore, we advise you to offer a spacious cage and with wooden supports. We will clean it thoroughly 2-3 times a week.
You should have fresh and renewed water at your disposal, as well as a swimming pool in the afternoons during the warmer months. In addition, we can use a spray with a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar, thus improving the quality of your feathers and preventing certain health problems.
We will offer you a varied and quality diet, also combining it with fruit and vegetable 2-3 times a week and a cuttlefish bone or calcium. We can also use vitamin supplements or special mixtures such as the famous "Supercanto " (common in many shops in Spain) products that by their contributions help the health of the canary and promote this habit.
It will be essential to offer you a good location, quiet and without drafts, as well as respect their rest hours.
Home remedy to improve the song of the canary
The lemon is one of the best home remedies to solve aphonia while improving the immune system of our canary and we offer vitamin C and antioxidants. We can offer a slice together with the fruits and vegetables that we supply weekly, but we can also mix it with the drinking water (using about 3-7 drops) or with the breeding paste for the canaries..