See Cats files
¿Did you know that cats spend 40% of their time hunting in the wild? It is for this reason that it is so important to dedicate to our furry companion hours of play and fun, since it is the only way they have to express their natural behavior. Thus, toys allow us to keep the animal entertained and occupied for hours, reducing the chances of suffering stress or anxiety, as well as avoiding the dreaded overweight.
Today, there is a variety of cat toys available on the market, however, ¿Why not recycle materials that we no longer use to make them ourselves? In addition to favoring the environment, we will be able to save a good sum of money. Keep reading and discover in AnimalWised how to make cardboard cat toys, we share 6 homemade cat toys very easy to make.You may also be interested in: 5 homemade toys for cats Index
- Cat toys with cardboard boxes
- Cat toys with toilet paper rolls
- Other homemade cat toys with recycled material
Cat toys with cardboard boxes
It is no secret to anyone that cats love cardboard boxes. So much so, that the simplest and cheapest homemade toy we can offer you is an empty box. However, it is not the only one and, therefore, below we show simple homemade toys for cats with cardboard boxes.
To make this toy, you will only need to gather the following materials:
- Cardboard boxes
- Pair of scissors
- Glue or tape
Ideally, use boxes of the same size to make a fun, simple cardboard maze for cats. Once obtained, follow the following steps:
- Cut off the tops of all the boxes.
- Join the boxes by gluing the walls with glue or tape. The shape of the maze subtracts from your choice, so let your imagination run wild and allow your cat to jump from box to box.
As you know, cats love to hide. Although a tunnel made with cardboard boxes has the disadvantage of being rigid compared to the fabric tunnels that we can buy, it has a great advantage, and that is that it does not cost any money. To make this toy you will only have to get these materials:
- Pair of scissors
- Scotch tape
- Three or four medium boxes
Now, follow the instructions to build the home tunnel:
- All boxes must have an entrance opening and an exit opening, so try to cut them off the excess sides.
- Tape the boxes together to form the tunnel.
- If the tunnel is very long, cut one or two circular holes in randomly chosen areas. You can make one on the top of a box and another on the side of another, for example, the objective is to offer the cat different stimuli that lead him to want to explore all the parts of the toy.
This cat toy with cardboard boxes is extremely interesting because promotes his natural hunter instinct. To do this, you will need:
- Two shoe boxes
- Rolls of toilet paper
- Pair of scissors
- Ping-pong or rubber ball
Once the materials are obtained, follow these simple steps:
- Take one of the boxes and cut several strips to form various obstacles inside the cave.
- Insert the strips inside the second box creating a labyrinth.
- In the maze, you can also place rolls of toilet paper.
- Take the lid of the box and cut holes matching them with the holes in the maze so that the cat can easily catch its "prey".
- Close the box and drop the ball for the cat to find and catch.
To see the step by step of this latest toy, which is the most elaborate of all, check out our YouTube video in which we show how to make this cardboard cat toy.
Cat toys with toilet paper rolls
¿You always throw away the cardboard rolls from the toilet paper? ¡Well stop doing it! With these simple paper roll cat toys you can give them a second chance and save some money at the same time..
In general, cats prefer smaller toys but, ¿you know why? Very simple, because they resemble the size of their prey. The cats that do not usually go out of the house a lot do not have the possibility to hunt and, therefore, we must be the ones who cover this need through play. To make this toy, get:
- A roll of cardboard
- Pair of scissors
Now, follow these instructions:
- Cut five rings from the cardboard roll.
- Take a ring and insert it inside another.
- Take a third ring and insert the other two inside it, and repeat this process until you finish with all the rings and obtain a ball.
- ¿Do you want to give more excitement to the toy? Place treats inside.
This toy is very simple and will allow us to obtain a Homemade Kong Very Very Basic But Effective. To achieve this, you will only need a cardboard roll, ¡nothing more! Once achieved, take one of the ends and close it by pressing one of the sides with your finger and then the other, placing it on top. Then put several treats inside or even homemade cat biscuits, and close the other end in the same way. Offer the toy to your feline and watch him have fun while trying to figure out how to get his reward.
If you have managed to accumulate a good number of cardboard rolls, ¡this toy is perfect! Gather:
- Various cardboard rolls
- Sheet of paper or cardboard (optional)
Now, follow these steps:
- Prepare the base of the pyramid with four rolls, gluing them together with the glue.
- On the base, glue three rolls and, on top of them, another two.
- Finally, place the last roll to form the tip of the pyramid and let the glue dry.
- Once dry, put several treats in the rolls and let your cat have fun trying to remove them.
Other homemade cat toys with recycled material
The above toys are just a few of the many cat toys with recycled material that we can make at home. As you have seen, with a simple cardboard box, or a simple cardboard tube obtained from the toilet paper roll, we have the option of preparing a large number of toys that will keep our cat entertained for a long time. However, as we say, they are not the only ones, so we recommend you consult the following video with three toys for cats with other recycled materials, or check our YouTube channel, with many more crafts.