See Cats files
The snacks and prizes for cats They play a fundamental role during their education, and that is that reinforcing good behavior is always synonymous with success. However, many are the people who prefer to opt for a natural diet to nourish their furry companion, since in addition to ensuring the quality of the products it helps to strengthen their immune, cardiovascular and joint systems, as long as it is established under the supervision of the veterinarian or feline nutritionist.
On the other hand, it is no secret to anyone that the palate of cats is much more demanding than that of other animals and, therefore, some of them tend to reject industrial awards, leading their human companions to make them at home. To help you, at AnimalWised we explain how to make cat biscuits and we share with you 4 very easy cat snack recipes, ¡keep reading!You may also be interested in: Homemade Dog Biscuits - 5 Easy Recipes Index
- Before cooking...
- Tuna Cracker Recipe for Cats
- Chicken cookie recipe for cats
- Salmon Cat Cracker Recipe
- Vegetarian cat biscuits recipe
- How to give homemade cookies to your cat?
Before we get down to work with recipes for homemade cat biscuits, we will do a brief review of the ingredients we will use, your benefits and how to replace them if you do not have any of them.
- Whole wheat flour. Unlike refined flour, whole wheat flour is the result of processing the whole grain, without wasting any of its parts. Thus, this flour has a higher percentage of fiber than refined flour, being much more digestible for the cat and, therefore, preferably when preparing homemade recipes. The most recommended for its multiple benefits are whole wheat and rice flour, although we can also use the whole wheat or corn flour version..
- Canned tuna. Despite the popular belief that tuna should be the main ingredient in the cat's diet, the truth is that it is not one of the most recommended fish due to its high content of mercury and sodium. However, a little fresh cooked tuna from time to time, or a can of tuna in water can be beneficial thanks to the protein intake, which is why we will not use more than the recommended amount in our recipes..
- Chicken breast. Chicken, on the other hand, is a food that is part of the list of most recommended meats for cats due to its nutritional value and low fat content, so that we can offer it more frequently. The feline is a carnivorous animal and, as such, requires a high percentage of protein to stay healthy, ¿And what better way to provide it than through homemade recipes? In this sense, we have chosen the breast part because it is one of the healthiest, however, you can also use the thigh and even organ meats such as liver. Likewise, you can use turkey meat failing that..
- Catnip or catnip. ¿What cat does not go crazy with this herb? And it is that the properties of this plant native to Europe produce an overstimulation in the animal that allows them to stay mentally and physically active. In itself, it is not a toxic plant for felines, but it is advisable not to abuse its consumption and offer it in moderation.
- Eggs. Especially the ground eggshell provides cats and dogs with a high content of minerals, so that we can use it to flavor their homemade recipes and increase their nutritional value. However, for cookies we will not use this part, we will use the interior, which is characterized by containing proteins, essential amino acids, vitamins and good fats. Despite its multiple benefits, it is not advisable to provide the animal with more than two eggs per week, that is why in the following preparations we will use one per recipe.
- Vegetable milk. Although not all cats develop lactose intolerance, it is true that most of them end up presenting it to a greater or lesser extent. Thus, to avoid any negative reaction, we recommend opting for plant-based milks such as almond milk, rice milk or oat milk..
- Plain yogurt. Probiotics are composed of beneficial strains of bacteria necessary for proper digestion, as well as for synthesizing certain vitamins and minerals. Today we have a whole range of products with probiotics specially designed to promote the intestinal flora of the cat, however, if we seek to use more natural and economical foods, yogurt is one of the best. In this sense, the selected yogurt must be as natural as possible and without added sugar. Likewise, we can use yogurt to replace milk when making cookies, since the amount of lactose is much lower..
- Olive oil. This type of vegetable oil provides the cat with antioxidants, vitamin E and good fats, mainly. It can be substituted for linseed oil in case of not having olive oil.
- Fish oil. In addition to being an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids for cats, fish oil supports their immune system, has important anti-inflammatory properties, balances cholesterol levels and promotes the cardiovascular system.
- Vegetables. Not everything in the cat's diet is meat or fish, nor do all owners offer the same diets to their felines, so vegetables are also a good source of vitamins, fiber and minerals for them. For the preparation of cookies, the most recommended vegetables are carrots and squash, although we can also use cooked peas or cucumber as substitutes for these products..
Tuna Cracker Recipe for Cats
If your cat loves tuna, ¡these simple cookies will become your downfall! Remember that it is recommended use tuna in water, since we will already add oil to the recipe. To make it, you can use manual rods, a spatula, a wooden spoon and even a blender..
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of fish or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon catnip
- Drain the tuna, crumble it well and mix it with the egg in a bowl with enough capacity.
- Add the fish or olive oil and continue mixing to integrate the ingredients.
- Add the catnip and, finally, the selected wholemeal flour, little by little and while beating.
- When you can, knead with your hands until you get a compact and homogeneous dough.
- Let the dough rest for a few minutes and, meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Roll out the cat cookie dough with a rolling pin and cut them into the shape you like best.
- Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and bake them for 10-15 minutes, depending on the type of oven and the texture you want to give the snacks.
- When they are ready, remove the tuna cat biscuits from the oven, let them cool and offer them to your feline as a treat.
Chicken cookie recipe for cats
As we pointed out in the first section, chicken meat is one of the most recommended for preparing homemade recipes for cats, both for its high nutritional value and for its low content of bad fats. However, remember, you can always substitute it for turkey meat.
- 1 cup of chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk or natural yogurt
- Shred cooked chicken to make cat biscuits more easily.
- If you use a blender or electric mixer, add the olive or fish oil, the egg and the tablespoon of milk or yogurt to the glass, and continue beating.
- Once the previous ingredients are integrated, add the flour little by little and without stopping beating to integrate it and form a uniform dough.
- Knead with your hands and spread the dough for the chicken cat cookies with a rolling pin to form them to your liking.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and, meanwhile, place the cookies on a tray lined with greaseproof or parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes, or until you notice that they are done.
- Remove them, let them cool and give them to your furry companion.
Recipe for salmon crackers for cats
Salmon is another of the favorite foods of cats and, therefore, we could not miss the opportunity to prepare delicious homemade cookies with it. For this recipe we recommend using oatmeal, since both this product and salmon help to improve your cat's skin and hair health, However, if you don't have it, you can also use any other type of whole wheat flour. As for the main food, you have the option of using fresh or canned salmon, since in both cases it must be shredded to make the dough.
- 1 cup of whole oatmeal flour
- 50 grams of fresh or canned salmon
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Shred the salmon as much as possible and, if necessary, mash it a little. When using canned salmon, it is not necessary to discard the liquid.
- Mix the salmon, the egg and the oil until the ingredients are fully integrated.
- Add the flour and add it to the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and prepare a tray lined with parchment paper.
- This dough is less compact than the previous ones, so you will have to place small portions with the help of a spoon on the tray to bake the salmon cat biscuits for approximately 10-15 minutes..
- Remove, cool and serve.
Vegetarian cat biscuits recipe
Some owners prefer to opt for vegetarian diets to feed their felines, which is why our list of cat biscuits could not miss an option that meets these characteristics. Of course, to carry out this type of menu, without any type of animal meat, it is necessary to first consult with the veterinarian in order to offer the feline a complete, balanced diet and tailored to your particular needs. That said, for the recipe of these cookies we have opted for two highly beneficial foods for cats: carrot and pear. However, as we pointed out at the beginning of the article, these products can be substituted for pumpkin, cooked peas, cucumber or apple. On the other hand, these homemade treats are also perfect for cats that tend to consume a large amount of meat, and a lower percentage of fruits and vegetables.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 pear, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grate the carrot and chop the pear very small, both products previously peeled.
- Mix the previous foods with the egg and olive oil.
- Add the flour little by little and without stopping mixing.
- If you consider it necessary, pour a little water to bind the mixture and obtain a compact and manageable dough..
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, cut the cookies and preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Place the snacks on a tray lined with parchment paper and bake the vegetarian cat biscuits for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until done.
- Take them out of the oven, let them cool and serve them.
How to give homemade cookies to your cat?
Although the previous cat biscuits are all made with natural and beneficial products for felines, in no case can they constitute the entirety of their diet. So, we will offer the cookies as a reward, snack or occasional complement to your usual diet, and without giving more than two in a row to avoid digestive problems. On the other hand, it is essential to observe the reaction of the feline when offering any new or home-made food to verify that it does not present any allergies or intolerances. If you assimilate it correctly, we can continue to provide it without problems, but if, on the contrary, it shows any negative sign, we must remove it immediately.
Conservation of cat biscuits
Being a homemade product, cat biscuits they do not usually last more than a week, that is why we recommend making them in small quantities. To preserve them, you must put them in a jar with a hermetic closure and leave them in a cool place free of humidity, or in the refrigerator if the weather is very hot..