In the animal kingdom we can find some groups of animals that generate fascination and attraction for certain people, while in others they can produce fear and rejection due to their dangerousness, as is the case of snakes and snakes..
In various regions of the world, deaths from snake bites they have become a public health problem, so prevention is extremely important when living in areas where they are present. For all this, at AnimalWised we want to offer you information through this article about how to chase away snakes and snakes, in order to avoid possible accidents that can affect both people and pets, even preventing these same snakes from being constantly killed out of fear of them.You may also be interested in: How to scare away moles? Index
- How do I know if there are snakes in my house?
- How to ward off snakes or snakes?
- What to do if I find a snake at home? Tips
How to know if there are snakes in my house?
Due to the population growth of human beings, many cities have expanded to areas close to forests or ecosystems in which snakes live, so they will not always be found exclusively in rural areas or areas of development for agriculture, but rather in some cities can also be found, with the possibility of even entering the houses.
It is not easy to know if there is a snake in our home, since it is not so easy to identify its trail. However, there are some indicators that can guide us in this regard:
- Remnants of your skin: one way to know is when we find remains of its skin, which maintains the shape of the animal once it has made its molt.
- Footprints or traces of the animal: since they are one of the animals that crawl, another possibility of knowing if there are snakes at home is trying to identify the presence of footprints or traces that they can leave in the surroundings, such as gardens or patios, since when they pass through sandy soil or on the ground they leave characteristic and visible marks of their body.
- Sounds or hisses: We must also be attentive to certain noises that are particular to some snakes, such as the hiss or the sound produced by the vibration of their tails, an example that we can see in the Crotalus genus, commonly known as rattlesnakes..
- Wounds in our pets: the appearance of unusual injuries and without apparent justification in our pets can be an indication of the possible presence of snakes in our homes. Of course, if we suspect that our pet has been bitten by a snake, it is important to take it to the vet urgently, since we do not know if it has been injured by a poisonous snake. For more information, you can consult this other article about ¿What to do if a snake bites my dog?
- Periodic check: Finally, one of the safest ways to find out if there are snakes in homes is by periodically conducting a meticulous search through cleaning and organizing the space we inhabit, especially if we live in areas prone to the presence of these animals.
If at any time you discover any of these animals in your home, you may find it useful to read this other AnimalWised article on Difference between snake and snake..
How to ward off snakes or snakes?
Preventive measures are essential when we cohabit with snakes in certain regions, so putting certain strategies into practice can be useful to avoid accidents with them or, at least, a moment of alarm. Let's know some recommendations of how to keep snakes away from our houses:
- Control their prey: A first step to take into account is to control certain animals such as rodents, amphibians, invertebrates and even other reptiles, since snakes are active hunters of live prey, and are attracted to this type of animal. For more information, you can consult this other article on The feeding of snakes.
- Avoid accumulating objects: an important aspect to consider is the order in the surroundings of the house, so you should avoid having accumulation of objects that can be used as shelter for snakes and do not allow us to visualize them easily.
- Prune the garden or patio: Another way to keep them away is to prevent them from finding refuge in soils covered with excessive vegetation, since this gives them the possibility of hiding, preventing their visibility. For this reason, permanent pruning of gardens and patios is recommended..
- Drive it away with pressurized water: in case we meet a snake directly, we can scare it away by spraying water with a certain pressure through a hose, or we can also try to move it away with extreme caution with the use of a stick long enough to force it to leave the place.
- Catch her with a mesh: Another way to keep a snake away is to trap it in a mesh with great care and then release it in an area far from our home. To do this, you can help yourself with a stick or a very elongated rod. However, if you do not know the species of the snake, that is, if you do not know if it can be poisonous or not, it is best to call a professional directly.
- Milk with salt, a dangerous combination: It is usually recommended as a repellent the use of milk with salt for snakes in case you come across one of them. However, this will only have a certain effect if it is applied directly to the eyes, irritating them, but it will not be a really effective measure and can be dangerous, since it is necessary to avoid proximity with these animals, especially if we do not know if They are poisonous, because we run the risk of being bitten.
- Keep the doors and windows closed: it would also be important to take into account some actions so that these animals are away from our houses. An example of this is keeping doors and windows closed or using barriers such as screens that prevent access to them..
- Spread ammonia or sulfur: in some cases the use of certain chemical agents, such as sulfur or ammonia, is recommended to repel this type of animals, but since they are harmful, it is preferable to spread these substances around the house and not directly on the animal. In addition, it is important to handle them with care, as they can also have harmful effects on people..
Antiserpent plants, ¿exist?
It is common to read that certain plants can be natural repellants for snakes, however, they are not always completely effective, since it will depend on the species of snake and how irritating the smell of the plant can be to scare away these animals.
On the other hand, some studies have reported that, contrary to what was believed, the use of garlic to scare away snakes It is not usually very effective, specifically in the case of vipers or vipers, which are quite poisonous. However, other zootechnical reports indicate that for some species of snakes, camphor plants do act as natural repellants, so the coordinated planting of the same can be useful.
In any case, if you usually have snakes or snakes in your home, it is best to go to a professional to help you identify the species and indicate the best measures to take..
What to do if I find a snake at home? Tips
If we come across one of these animals in our home, we recommend the following:
- Contact professionals: it is best to contact firefighters or an institution that is dedicated to the capture and good protection of these animals.
- Do not grab it with your hands: above all, avoid grabbing these animals directly with your hands, since when they feel threatened they can attack causing lethal bites if they are poisonous.
- Find out about the species in your area: If we live in a region where snakes and snakes live, it is important to document what species inhabit the area, in order to know their characteristics and level of danger.
- Don't kill herDespite the fear that these animals can generate, we must avoid killing them indiscriminately. Instead, if you want, you can catch it and drop it in another area.
Snakes and snakes are within the group of animals that are usually victims of hunting by humans given the fear they have, since indeed some species can be lethal to people. However, it is important to keep in mind that they have the same value as any other form of life and, in addition, play a fundamental role within ecosystems such as biological controllers, as well as in the food webs of the species.