See Dogs files
The Shar Pei is one of the most popular Chinese dog breeds due to its peculiar appearance, as it has infinite wrinkles that cover its body. But its charm goes beyond appearances, since the Shar Pei has a very special character. While they are something independent, these dogs are very loyal, serene and protectors with their relatives. Therefore, they need to be properly socialized and educated to learn to relate positively with other individuals and with their own environment..
It is also an active and intelligent dog that needs to channel and positively express its energy to maintain a balanced behavior and an optimal quality of life. In addition to avoiding the development of behavior problems, symptoms of stress or boredom. Therefore, if you have decided to adopt a dog of this breed, we invite you to continue reading this AnimalWised article to find out how to train a shar pei puppy or adult.You may also be interested in: How to train a cat? Index
- The behavior of the shar pei
- Preparing the right equipment to train a Shar Pei
- Shar Pei training according to age
- How to train a shar pei puppy?
- Stages of training a shar pei puppy
- Training an adult shar pei
- The socialization of your Shar Pei will be key in its training
- Physical activity and mental stimulation for shar pei dogs
- 6 keys to train your Shar Pei correctly
The behavior of the shar pei
Although there is a certain tendency to speak of common traits when defining the character or behavior of a breed, the truth is that each dog owns one unique and singular personality. During the learning process, each dog will need their own time and must always have the dedication, patience and knowledge of their tutor to internalize and correctly execute the proposed exercises.
Thus, meet your dog it is the essential first step in knowing how to educate him. Remember to dedicate a special time to share with your best friend, observe their behavior, their postures and facial expressions. By better understanding the body language of dogs, you can better establish communication and strengthen your bond with your furry.
Generally speaking, the shar pei is a dog serene and balanced, which is more independent than most dog breeds. This does not mean that they do not enjoy the company of their guardians, but that they will not always be aware of their attention and will need to have their moments of solitude and tranquility.
However, these furry animals are very loyal to their guardians and show great courage when it comes to protecting and defending them from any threat. Therefore, they can be somewhat suspicious and reserved in the presence of strange people and animals. Likewise, with the correct socialization, your shar pei will be able to interact positively with other dogs, people and with its own environment.
Of course, we must remind you that the behavior of the Shar Pei is not determined only by its genetic inheritance , although it is an important aspect. Education, lived experiences, training, care and the environment are decisive for the behavior of the dog.
Therefore, if you want your Shar Pei to be obedient, calm and friendly, you should not neglect their training or socialization. It will also be crucial to offer them adequate preventive medicine and a positive and safe environment, where you can freely develop your physical, cognitive, social and emotional capacities.
Preparing the right equipment to train a Shar Pei
Before you start practicing basic obedience commands with your dog, you will need to understand what it is to train a dog. To help you, we offer you an introduction to dog training with valuable information about its fundamentals and basic guidelines. In addition, we recommend that it is essential to know and review the 5 training tricks that every owner should know, as they will help you understand how to educate a Shar Pei at home in a simpler and safer way..
When you feel ready to start training with your dog, you should prepare your own training kit, with the following elements:
- Collar / harness
- Regulatory strap
- Long strap
- Fanny pack
- Treats and other prizes
- Clicker (optional)
Though the clicker is not essential in training, it can make the trainer's job easier (and a lot) when well employed. If you want to know more about this device and learn how to use it to teach your furry, we recommend you read our article on the clicker for dogs.
Shar Pei training according to age
The training, as well as the physical training and mental stimulation of a dog, should always be appropriate according to its age, health, and physical ability. We will never start the education of a puppy presenting complex and difficult tasks to execute, because they need to learn progressively.
Therefore, we will always begin to train them with basic and simple commands to assimilate. Little by little, you can increase the difficulty of the exercises, always using positive reinforcement to stimulate their learning and reward their effort. Next, we tell you how to educate a Shar Pei at home according to its age.
How to train a shar pei puppy?
The ideal age to start training your Shar Pei puppy will be from 3 months of age, when it is fully weaned. Remember that it is essential to respect the weaning period of dogs, as a puppy separated prematurely from its parent may have learning and socialization difficulties, as well as a weaker immune system.
If the puppies were born in your home, you can use early stimulation to boost their cognitive, emotional and social abilities from their first weeks of life. In addition, even if you cannot begin to train them in this first stage, you must begin to educate them from their birth. For example, transmitting the rules of conduct that are considered appropriate in the house, such as not getting on the couch and not chewing the garbage. It will also be essential that the puppies learn to recognize their name as soon as possible..
In our article on how to educate a puppy step by step, we tell you more about the first education of your furry, from its birth or arrival at home, the first walks and step by step to teach it to stay home alone and manage loneliness in a positive way. We also remind you that teaching your dog to inhibit your bite it is a key element for your social life, as it will allow you to play and interact with other individuals (whether dogs, people or other animals) in a positive and safe way. And considering the powerful jaws of large, robust dogs like the Shar Pei, this training becomes even more important..
Puppies' physical activity should also be moderate so as not to impair their correct physical and mental development. The proposed exercises must be of low impact, but with high content of entertainment. Play is a key element in the education of every dog, since it acts as a playful element to stimulate their curiosity and allow them to develop their senses and their cognitive, emotional and social capacities..
Stages of training a shar pei puppy
To help you better understand how to train a Shar Pei puppy, we present an optimal division into stages to guide your training:
- 3-6 months: training a shar pei puppy should always start with the basic canine obedience commands, such as come, sit, lie down, stay still, get up, walk with you and do not pull on the leash. In this first stage, your objective will be to propose simple and unitary orders, which do not lead to the execution of multiple tasks to achieve success. We should not exaggerate the complexity of the exercises, as this could confuse the puppy and generate a feeling of frustration. It is also advisable to teach your Shar Pei puppy to relieve himself in the street, as well as not neglect his socialization (later we will explain the importance of this period, in a special section).
- 6 to 12 months: when your puppy already knows how to perform the basic exercises correctly, you can include new commands in his training. At this time, we recommend teaching him to bring objects and greet people properly. In addition, you can include other tricks that you like, such as "roll " or "give the paw ", always respecting your dog's learning times and using positive reinforcement to encourage him to continue learning new tasks.
Training an adult shar pei
Having completed the basic level of dog training with your Shar Pei, you will be able to enjoy and surprise yourself with the intelligence of your furry in an advanced training. Starting him in Agility will be an excellent decision to keep him physically and mentally stimulated throughout his adulthood. On the other hand, the searching it is highly recommended to stimulate your sensory and cognitive abilities. In addition, you can teach him fun tricks, dog sports or memorization games.
Again, if you consider that you do not have enough time or knowledge to deepen the education of your Shar Pei at home, we recommend you go to a dog training center to have the guidance of a professional in advanced training.
The socialization of your Shar Pei will be key in its training
Puppy socialization is key to achieving an obedient, balanced and self-confident dog. During the socialization period, your Shar Pei will learn to relate positively with people, with other animals and with their own environment and the elements that compose it. This will prevent the appearance of fears and many other unwanted behaviors, such as fear or anxiety.
Ideally, your Shar Pei should begin to socialize during its early stages (between the third week and three months of life), but after completing its first cycle of vaccination and deworming (usually around three months of life ) we must continue to offer positive experiences together with other people, dogs, animals and environments. It is during this period of their life that dogs form their basic notions of coexistence with other individuals, in addition to demonstrating a more flexible character, which favors learning.
However, it is also possible to carry out the socialization process when your furry is an adult, always being patient and applying positive reinforcement to stimulate it. To help you, we recommend reading our tips for socializing an adult dog.
Physical activity and mental stimulation for shar pei dogs
Although not exactly a hyperactive dog, like the Border Collie or Belgian Malinois, the Shar Pei also needs to maintain a active and healthy routine to manage a healthy weight, burn energy and maintain a balanced behavior. A sedentary Shar Pei, who does not practice exercises or walks daily, may present symptoms of stress or boredom, in addition to having greater difficulty concentrating and correctly learning the commands you want to teach him..
For this reason, the training of your Shar Pei must necessarily include physical activity and cognitive training newspapers. In addition to walks outside, you can consider the possibility of starting him in some canine sport or exercise. In addition, if you wonder how to play with a Shar Pei at home, we teach you 6 activities to have fun with your dog at home, and we also suggest you practice intelligence games to stimulate their learning ability and their senses without leaving the home.
As you will see, Shar Pei are intelligent and sensitive dogs that need dedicated and patient tutors, who have time and space available to provide them with an optimal quality of life. They must also receive adequate preventive medicine throughout their lives, to stay healthy, active and happy. Therefore, remember to bring your Shar Pei to the vet every 6 months, respect your letter of vaccination and periodic deworming. In addition to offering the specific care that this breed requires to preserve its good health and avoid common skin problems in Shar Pei.
6 keys to train your Shar Pei correctly
To finish this complete guide to shar pei training, we offer you six basic tips that every owner should know and apply:
- Training requires perseveranceYour Shar Pei will need your patience and commitment to help him assimilate the commands, one by one. Training is a constant and gradual process, where each exercise must be properly absorbed, memorized and executed to perfection. If you feel that you do not have enough time or patience, you can find a professional trainer to help you train your Shar Pei..
- Know when and how much to teach: obedience commands must be trained daily, but always in short sessions. Ideally, allocate 10 to 15 minutes for each training session with your furry. If you exaggerate the duration of each section, you will tire and fatigue your dog, which is counterproductive to his learning.
- Understand how to teach: the exercises must be practiced one by one to allow their comprehensive understanding and perfect execution, without confusing or overloading the dog. It generally takes dogs 3 to 10 days to fully understand, associate, memorize, and execute each command. However, the exact time may vary depending on the dog, the complexity of the exercise and the dedication of each tutor. Let's not forget that our commitment is key to stimulating the cognitive abilities of our furry dogs, and facilitating their learning..
- Choose the ideal place to trainChoosing the right place to teach is as important as respecting the frequency and duration of the training sections. It is important to avoid noisy places or those with an excess of stimuli (such as smells, sounds, people, dogs, other animals, etc.). A quiet place will help your dog to focus on his training and to understand the commands more easily..
- Use positive reinforcement to educate and encouragePositive reinforcement is the best method to teach and stimulate your Shar Pei's intelligence. Unlike aversive methods, such as positive punishment, dogs respond much better to this type of education, learn more quickly and show fewer signs of stress.  Remember that exposing your best friend to contexts of high stress and / or intense fear harms his health and can promote the development of numerous behavior problems, such as aggressiveness, fear or phobias.
- Review the exercises already learned: Each command taught must be reviewed to reaffirm its learning and avoid forgetting. Ideally, reserve 1 to 2 days of the week to review and reinforce the exercises already memorized.