See Cats files
When you first think about bathing your cat at home, the question arises: ¿Cats bathe? And here comes the false belief that you should never bathe a cat, something totally false. The cats yes you can bathe, But that they don't like it is another story. Although it is true that if a cat is home and has never had any "accidents " playing with mud, oil or any other product that seriously dirties its fur, with its tongue, the cat can live perfectly without the need for a bath.
But cats are playful and we can find ourselves in the situation that our cat suddenly appears with large spots of dirt on his body, something that he alone will not be able to clean and that is when he will need our help. Cats like dogs should not bathe before 3 months of age, if we bathe them at this early age we can endanger their health since their defenses are not yet fully developed.
Next, in this AnimalWised article we will give you some guidelines and tips on how to bathe your cat at home:You may also be interested in: Natural products to bathe my dog Index
- Tips before starting the bath
- The cat bath step by step and some tips
- After bath,
- Other recommendations
Tips before starting the bath
- Trimming your cat's nails. To minimize the damage that our cat can cause in a moment of fear or stress, it is advisable to trim its nails. If you have never done it, it is preferable that they be trimmed by a professional, since inexperience can cause us to cause damage to our feline, even making it bleed.
- Brush your hair. The fur of our feline can suffer from knots, it will always be easier to untangle these knots with the hair still dry, so we will avoid pulling it during the bath and we will make the bath experience as relaxing as possible. Take special care behind the ears and neck, they are usually the areas most prone to knots in the fur.
- Everything ready and at hand. During the bath we should not leave our cat alone in the bathtub for a single moment, it is very likely that when seeing itself it will only get scared and can escape, so before starting we must make sure that we have everything within our reach: shampoo, towels , toys, treats, brush, dryer...
Warning: shampoo must be specific for cats, it would be totally harmful to use our own or our dog's shampoo.
- Bathtub or container already with water. The sound of water falling through a tap can scare our feline and stress it, that is why before bringing our cat to the bathroom area, we must have the bathtub already with water ready to start.
The water must be warm, not too deep, that our cat can be standing or sitting and the water does not come close to the neck, otherwise, it would scare.
At the bottom of the bathtub we must put a non-slip mat and on top of it it is advisable to put a small towel where our cat's paws will go, in case at any given moment our cat has a little scare and removes its nails, which can nail them something and relax again.
- Some toy in the water It will help our cat to associate bath time with a game and we will be able to bathe it quickly and easily.
- By last, ¡just relax!. You have everything ready, everything at hand and everything insured, in a room where calm and harmony reign, you just have to go for the kitten to start the bath. But if when going for it, the cat notices that you are tense, scared and afraid, it will have been useless to have the most relaxed and prepared room in the world, since your cat will notice that tension in you and will be infected with it.
So, take a deep breath, relax and go happily for him, just as if you were going to play, he will notice that positive and joyful energy in you and will happily go to take his bath.
The cat bath step by step and some tips
- Cat entrance to the bathtub. You better than anyone know your cat, so you will know with what fun tricks you can make it enter the water (toys, sweets, some games, etc.), try and try to get your kitten to enter the water naturally.
If you do not get this naturalness, you can take it and make it enter little by little, without pressure, without obligation, without fear.
A trick to be able to take a cat in a relaxed way is to take its skin that is on the neck, called the neck. By taking it in this area, the kitten will be easily moved to where we need it.
- Wet the cat very slowly. Once in the water we will begin to wet it little by little, without haste. If the cat is scared, it does not matter, we will let him relax for as long as he needs. It is preferable not to bathe him this first time but that he has had that first contact, than for him to feel obligated and scared and we can never bathe him again..
If everything goes well, we continue with the bathroom. We must never wet above his neck, the head must never be introduced under the water, it would cause him too much terror.
So if we already have a very wet body, we will take the cat shampoo and with gentle massages we will wash our kitten in the direction of hair growth. Once everything is well soaped, we will take the warm water very gently and rinse our cat calmly and patiently, without leaving any trace of shampoo.
Take special care not to get shampoo on the eyes, ears, nose or mouth, it could cause an infection.
Now we have her face, since we have not wet her during the bath, but do not worry, you can wash her face with a wet cloth, that easy, our feline companion will not oppose these caresses of a damp and soft cloth for his face.
- Towel drying. Take the towel and drain all the water you can from her hair, gently with movements similar to the caresses that we normally give her.
If your cat has short hair and is in an area where there is no cold draft, at this point, it can finish drying itself.
- Drying with dryer. But if your coat is long or semi-long and the dryer does not scare you, we will take it and with soft and warm air we will begin to dry your hair with the help of a brush while we comb it in the direction of the hairline..
On the contrary, if it does not accept the dryer, we must continue drying with a towel as much as possible.
- Alternative to the bathroom. If our cat refuses to be bathed and there is no way to convince him, there are alternative ways to clean a cat such as using dry shampoo that can be applied with a cloth and thus being able to wash our cat.
- Frequency of baths. We can bathe our feline whenever we want but not do it more than twice a month.
- Routine since childhood. If you have your kitten since childhood, even if he does not need it because it is very clean, you can get him used to the bathroom from a young age, it is easier to teach a young kitten not to be afraid of the bathroom than an older cat.
- Rewards. Reward your kitten always: with treats, with caresses, with cuddles, with words, whatever it is, positive reinforcement for behaving well, will make him relate each bath process with something good and fun.