See Iguana files
Prior to adopt an iguana you should know that it is not a common pet. They are reptiles and to care for them correctly you must invest a lot of time, patience and money. As for baby iguanas, you should know that in captivity they hardly exceed one year of life. They must be given constant care and a good diet. For this reason, you must be very responsible if you decide to adopt a baby iguana..
Keep reading this article about feeding for baby iguanas and find out properly how to do it.You may also be interested in: What does a baby rabbit eat? Index
- What do baby iguanas eat?
- Healthy food for baby iguanas
- Sporadic foods
- Dangerous foods for baby iguanas
- Vitamins and calcium
What do baby iguanas eat?
Iguanas are animals that eat only vegetables, they are herbivorous. We must never give him meat. They have teeth but do not chew, but tear food before swallowing. For this reason it is very important to chop or grate your food..
We must look at the size of the head of our iguana and ensure that the bites are easy to swallow. Baby iguanas must be fed every day. It is advisable to change the feeder a couple of times a day, modifying the combination of vegetables. This is how we encourage our little girl to eat.
It is very important that clean his bowl regularly, without leaving food scraps from previous days as fungi can easily develop.
The best time to feed them is in the morning, after they have warmed up for a couple of hours with UV rays. They need heat to be able to metabolize food. It is important that when you move it (especially after eating) you do not subject it to drafts or sudden changes in temperature.
Food should never be cold nor excessively hot. If you use frozen vegetables, you must first defrost them and wait until they are at room temperature. Even if it comes from the fridge, it is convenient to prepare the bowl and wait for its temperature to rise (we can place it outside the terrarium for a few minutes).
Healthy food for baby iguanas
An iguana's diet should contain approximately one 95% vegetables, green vegetables and leaves; Y 5% fruit and feed for iguana.
A good base with which to mix the vegetables and fruits that we crush is fresh alfalfa, chopped into small pieces. We can also incorporate pumpkin, hibiscus or rose flowers; as long as they do not contain pesticides. The advisable vegetables are:
- Green beans
- Turnip greens
There are fruits like lemon or orange that are not advisable due to their acidity; although we can give it to you very occasionally and in small quantities. The fruits that we must incorporate are the following:
As for the dehydrated foods on the market: you can incorporate them into your diet, but always combining them with other fresh products. If your little iguana finds it difficult to eat them, you can moisten them with water so that they soften and are easier to ingest..
These foods should only be present sporadically since they do not have a suitable composition for them. Its consumption in high quantities can cause nutritional deficiencies. We can include small amounts of some of them always with other recommended vegetables.
Foods low in calcium and phosphorus:
Lettuce, although it is a food that iguanas usually eat very well, it is not advisable to give it large quantities. This is because lettuce has very little nutritional value and can make our baby iguana lose their appetite..
Foods that cause deficiencies in the thyroid gland:
- Brussels sprouts
Dangerous foods for baby iguanas
The foods here called dangerous are not poisonous to our iguana but due to their composition they are inappropriate for them. We must avoid them to prevent future problems. Especially in a baby iguana that needs a healthy and varied diet that provides everything necessary to grow strong.
There are a number of vegetables that can be harmful to our iguana. They are the ones that contain oxalic acid or oxalate, a substance that the body of our iguana cannot metabolize and assimilate. Its presence prevents the normal assimilation of calcium, generating deficiencies that can trigger joint and bone problems.
Foods with oxalic acid:
We must avoid giving eggs or any dairy derivative such as cheeses.
Vitamins and calcium
The vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus they must be present in the diet. If the supply is insufficient, a metabolic disease in the bones called MBD (metabolic bone disease) can develop.
Vitamin D and phosphorus are involved in the absorption of calcium, a key factor for the development of a baby iguana.
A healthy, varied and balanced diet should provide the necessary amounts but we can ensure with vitamin supplements. There are pills, drops or special sprays for iguanas on the market.
Consult your vet about the dosages and the right supplement for your little iguana.