Animal file: American Pit Bull Terrier
The american pitbull terrier It is considered a potentially dangerous dog due to its physical attributes, which make it a strong and robust dog. However, this law does not value in any case the individual psychology of each individual. In fact, within the collective imagination, pit bulls are considered one of the most dangerous dogs.
Then, ¿a puppy of this breed needs special training? ¿And an adopted adult dog? In this AnimalWised article we are going to give you all the answers. Read on and find out below all about pitbull training, in both puppy and adult dogs.You may also be interested in: Rottweiler Training Index
- Are pit bulls aggressive?
- The real temperament of American pit bull terriers
- How to train a pitbull puppy?
- How to train an adult pitbull?
- Tips for Pitbull Dogs
Are pit bulls aggressive?
In the introduction we have explained that the pit bull is considered a potentially dangerous dog, which usually causes a very common false belief: thinking that aggressiveness is determined by breed.
The main conclusion of a study published at the University of Córdoba  is that the owners are the main responsible from the attacks of their dogs. According to the author, Joaquín Pérez Guisado, the majority cause of an animal manifesting behaviors related to aggressiveness is the bad or non-existent education provided.
However, it is important to highlight that there are other factors that can influence, such as genetics, socialization or lived experiences. Likewise, another study published at the University of Bristol, scientist Barbara Schoening affirms that linking aggressiveness to certain races it has no scientific rigor. [two]
In fact, a third article published in the American edition of the Huffington Post  goes further: in it we find the results of an investigation carried out by the American Temperament Test Society in more than 450 breeds of dogs, which indicates that the american pit bull terrier is the fifth most tolerant canine breed, just behind the Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, Staffrodshire Bull Terrier and Pug or Pug.
Even so, the law does not seem to be on the side of the American Pit Bull Terrier, as they argue that due to its powerful bite and physical strength, the use of a muzzle and other preventive measures should be mandatory. However, other dogs with very similar characteristics are not considered as PPP, ¿why it happens? Obviously history plays a decisive role.
We must know that all the breeds that today are considered as "potentially dangerous " have been used in dog fights, sport hunting, home defense, livestock protection and even as war dogs. Unfortunately, all these factors have led society to believe that these dogs are dangerous, without scientific studies to support it..
The real temperament of the American pit bull terrier
When we talk about the temperament of the pit bull terrier we can say that we are facing a dog vivacious, self-confident, extremely affectionate with the human being and protector with young children. Anyone who is part of their family nucleus and environment, including animals of other species, will be able to enjoy a noble, athletic dog with great self-confidence and ease..
How to train a pitbull puppy?
The education of a pitbull puppy dog is governed by the same rules as those of any other breed of dog. However, we offer you a brief review so that you know what to take into account when it comes to knowing how to train a pitbull puppy:
- Decide in advance of the puppy's arrival what will he be able to do and what not. For example, if he is going to be able to get on the sofas or the beds, where he is going to sleep ... The whole family must know and follow the rules, because if you act differently the dog will feel confused.
- Find a name for your pitbull dog and teach him to associate it correctly through the use of positive reinforcement (treats, caresses, kind words…), it is imperative for you to pay attention. It will be enough with little time if you put effort.
- You should socialize your pit bull dog since he is a puppy with other dogs, people, animals and environments. It is very important so that in the future you can interact with dogs and people properly and not suffer from behaviors related to fear or aggressiveness.
- Avoid scolding and punishing your dog when he does something wrong. Substitute for the use of positive reinforcement whenever possible. In an unpleasant situation it is only necessary to use a firm "No ", he will listen to you and understand the first time.
- He must learn how to bite so that he does not hurt you once he grows up, for this it will be essential to promote a relaxed life as well as the use of toys and teethers and avoid direct play with the hands or other parts of the body.
- You should try to create a link based on understanding and never in fear or imposition. If you scold him excessively, you will be generating stress in the dog and will make him more predisposed to show behavioral problems.
- Teach your dog to be left alone little by little and learn about disorders related to separation to prevent it properly.
- Teach him basic obedience commands to help you prevent an accident and communicate with him, such as sitting, lying down, standing still, or coming..
- Do short training sessions. Very small dogs can practice between 2 and 5 minutes, while older dogs can train between 5 and 10 minutes maximum.
However, it is essential to emphasize that the American Pit Bull Terrier is a active and vital dog, full of energy you need to burn and release. We must be aware that walks and physical activity cannot be missed in your day-to-day life, for this reason we encourage you to try to get to know your dog more and discover with him his specific needs for walk and exercise. Each individual is unique and we must adapt to it. Of course, it is not advisable to abuse physical exercise at all, although the A.p.b.t. be an elite athlete. With an average time of two hours a day we will have more than enough.
Another detail that should not be overlooked is the mental stimulation. Although physical exercise is very important for this breed, once the physical routine is established, mental exercises should begin.
Finally, remember that any PPP breed must always wear a muzzle in Spain. Therefore, it is essential that you start to accustom your Pitbull puppy to the muzzle as soon as possible. You can start when it is two months old, but always little by little. Start with 1-minute sessions and from there, the times should be increased.
How to train an adult pitbull?
If you have adopted an American Pit Bull Terrier, we take this opportunity to congratulate you, as there are many pit bull dogs that fill kennels around the world due to the amount of paperwork that must be carried out in order to adopt them..
To begin with, it is important to inform us as much as possible about its origin: history, previous family, if it is a rescued dog, if it has suffered abuse, etc. Do not be frustrated if their reaction is aversive towards other dogs or people, you must understand that the behavior is a reflection of their lived experiences, genetics and socialization.
You must be very clear that under no circumstances should you scold or use physical punishment, because you should know that it is a very powerful dog whose character and history you do not know. Looking at his body language will be essential to understand him, in this way we will be able to identify if at any time he feels scared, stressed or tense.
The patience and constancy They are key to the training of the adult pitbull, as it is a very intelligent dog that goes out of its way to please its human companion and any other that is part of its nucleus of friends or family.
We will teach him the basic obedience commands in short training sessions, making sure that they are a game for him, reinforcing the appropriate behaviors with rewards and ignoring the dogs. However, remember that you should not rely solely on food, praise and caresses are also excellent reinforcers..
If you have observed that your dog manifests a behavioral problem, the ideal is go to an ethologist or dog educator, especially if he is not well socialized. Never try to do it yourself, you could put him at risk.
Tips for Pitbull Dogs
Remember that if you reside in Spain you must meet all the legal requirements: not have been in prison, have the PPP license, open a liability insurance and keep the record up to date. Also, your dog should go always tied and muzzled in public spaces, using a strap of, maximum, one and a half meters (never extendable).