See Dogs files
The fish oil It is a type of natural fat extracted mainly from cold-water marine fish, such as sardines, tuna, horse mackerel, herring, salmon, anchovies and mackerel. Due to its high content of omega 3 and its good supply of vitamin D, it has become a very popular natural supplement today, both for humans, as well as for dogs and cats.
Some high-quality commercial dog foods already incorporate fish oil in their formula. However, there are many tutors who wonder how and what are the benefits of introducing this natural supplement in the diet of their kittens.
Of course, we remind you that the incorporation of any food or natural supplement in your hairy diet must be guided and supervised by a veterinarian. However, today in AnimalWised, you will be able to know what the properties and benefits of fish oil for dogs.You may also be interested in: Benefits of fish oil for cats Index
- Why is fish oil good for dogs?
- Fish oil properties
- Benefits of fish oil for dogs
- Recommended dose of fish oil for dogs
Why is fish oil good for dogs?
Cold water fish are rich in omega 3, They usually eat a large amount of plankton to supplement their diet, in addition to also consuming other fish that feed on plankton. The plankton, in turn, it consists of a set of microorganisms that contain a lot of omega 3 inside. In fact, it is estimated that marine plankton can contain up to 30 times more omega 3 than olive oil, which is already considered a good source of this nutrient.
But... ¿what is omega 3 and why is it good for your dog?
Although we tend to think of omega 3 as a single substance, it is a set of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids, also known as "good fats". Oily fish and, consequently, fish oil include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), two types of omega-3 essential for the body of dogs and humans..
In addition, fish oil offers a good contribution of vitamin D, which is an essential nutrient for the synthesis of calcium, the formation of bones and the strengthening of the immune system. It is also a highly energetic supplement, which stimulates the physical and cognitive development of puppies and acts as an excellent ally in the diet for malnourished dogs..
Fish oil properties
Below we will mention some of the properties of fish oil consumption for dogs:
- Fish oil anticancer properties. Hospital researchers and research center Fox Chase Cancer Center from Philadelphia (USA), have shown that omega 3 is capable of stopping and delaying the abnormal multiplication of cancer cells. Other studies have shown that the consumption of essential fatty acids helps prevent the development of colon and breast cancer. 
- Cardiovascular protector. Omega 3 helps reduce LDL cholesterol levels, preventing the accumulation of lipid and insoluble plaques inside the arteries. Thus, it improves blood circulation and oxygenation of the body's tissues, and at the same time, prevents arteriosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases. [two]
- Stimulating cognitive functions. Several studies have shown that the regular consumption of omega 3 has a very positive impact on the brain. In addition to stimulating cognitive and emotional development, it also helps prevent strokes and delay the decline in cognitive functions associated with the aging process. 
- Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. Its high content of omega 3 gives fish oil a powerful anti-inflammatory action. Therefore, its regular and moderate consumption is effective in preventing inflammatory processes and joint problems, such as arthritis..
- Antidepressant effects of fish oil. Some research has already shown that omega 3 is able to prevent and improve symptoms of depression. It has also shown good results in the treatment of bipolar disorder in humans. 
- Prevention of vitamin D deficiency. Moderate and regular consumption of fish oil helps prevent vitamin D deficiency in the body. In this way, it stimulates the absorption of calcium ingested in the diet, helping to build and strengthen bones. It also helps prevent infectious diseases, such as tuberculosis, which are more common when there is a vitamin D deficiency. 
Benefits of fish oil for dogs
Now that you know what the properties of fish oil are, we can list its Top 10 benefits for the health of dogs:
- Strengthens your immune system, helping to keep you strong and healthy.
- Improves the health and appearance of their fur and skin, reducing the risk of allergies and skin problems.
- Collaborates with the development of cognitive functions, especially in puppies and elderly dogs.
- Helps prevent strokes and cognitive dysfunction syndrome (the so-called "canine Alzheimer's ").
- It has anti-inflammatory action, helping to prevent joint wear and tear and relieve pain associated with inflammatory and degenerative processes, such as osteoarthritis and osteoarthritis in dogs.
- It is a good ally to regulate triglyceride and cholesterol levels, protecting the arteries and reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes in dogs..
- Helps fight the symptoms of depression in dogs, improving their quality of life on a physical, emotional, social and cognitive level.
- Reduces the risk of developing cancer.
- Collaborates for the proper functioning of your kidneys, reducing the risk of kidney failure.
- It is a good natural supplement in the diet of pregnant dogs, helping in the physical and mental development of fetuses.
Recommended dose of fish oil for dogs
The moderate and regular consumption of fish oil can be very beneficial for our dogs, as long as we respect a safe dose for their organism. However, there is no predetermined amount that is safe and beneficial for all dogs. The dose of any supplement or nutrient must be adequate according to the purpose of consumption, weight, age, size and health status of each animal.
Therefore, it is essential that check with your vet before offering fish oil to your dog, either through a high-quality commercial feed, as a supplement in capsules, or by introducing the oil in the homemade recipes that you prepare for your furry dog. The veterinarian will be able to guide you on the necessary amount and the best way to administer this nutrient to obtain a positive impact on the health of your best friend..