See Dogs files
The benefits and properties of coconut oil in dogs are diverse, for that reason it is not unusual to find this component in a large number of products or as an extra ingredient in certain homemade recipes. While it is true that most use it to improve the appearance of skin and hair of the dog, there are other advantages that can be very interesting, especially in elderly dogs.
¿You were wondering if you could give your dogs coconut oil? The truth is that yes, discover below in AnimalWised all the benefits and uses of coconut oil for dogs and start including it in your daily or occasional recipes. ¡You'll be surprised!You may also be interested in: Uses and benefits of olive oil for dogs Index
- Coconut oil benefits
- 15 properties of coconut oil
- Coconut oil dosage for dogs
- Coconut oil contraindications
- Can dogs eat coconut?
- Where to buy coconut oil?
- Is coconut oil good for cats?
Coconut oil benefits
The coconut oil, Also known as coconut butter, it is obtained by pressing the pulp or meat of the coconut. It is a totally vegetable product. The result is a fatty extract, with a high content of saturated acids (lauric acid), vitamins E and K and some minerals, of which we highlight iron. 
Coconut butter is white in color and soft in texture, although it can turn liquid when it comes into contact with heat. In addition, it does not rust easily, so we can keep it at room temperature for up to 6 months.
¿There is coconut oil "canine "?
The coconut oil that we can buy in the market, although it is labeled as a product for pets, is the same that is used for human consumption, that is,, there is no specific product for dogs.
15 properties of coconut oil
Next we will mention the properties of coconut oil in dogs:
- It is a good remedy to improve the healing of cuts and different types of wounds. [two]
- Helps hydrate the dog's skin in case of dryness. 
- It can be a good support tool in case of allergy or hypersensitivity to improve the appearance of the dermis and the damage produced. The veterinarian should always be consulted before application.  
- Improves the appearance of the dog's coat, which becomes much more shiny and silky. 
- It shows a high affinity with the natural proteins of the hair, which favors the hydration of the coat, helps prevent hair loss and promotes the growth of healthy hair. 
- Mixed with the shampoo and applied during the bath, it helps prevent the appearance of yeasts, fungi and external parasites, although we also recommend the use of pipettes or collars to ensure total protection against fleas, ticks, lice, mosquitoes and mites. 
- We can use a diluted solution of coconut oil and water to sanitize the genitals, anus, legs or ears, as it helps to clean deeply.
- Ingested, it prevents various health problems due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effects. 
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Provides energy.
- The MCTs found in coconut oil improve brain metabolism, helping to prevent and improve the mental state of elderly dogs suffering from cognitive dysfunction syndrome. 
- Accelerates metabolism thanks to easily absorbed fatty acids. 
- Strengthens the immune system thanks to the aforementioned lauric acid, which is present in breast milk and activates the defenses of puppies. 
- Its application together with a treatment prescribed by the veterinarian prevents the development of eczema. 
- The topical application of coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to improve the dermis that present inflammation. 
¿It must be extra virgin coconut oil?
In order to enjoy all the benefits of coconut oil, it will be essential to bet on a high quality product, preferably organic, to avoid synthetic components that can cause a reaction of the dermis or intestinal problems.
Coconut oil dosage for dogs
In the case of offering this product included in the dog's diet, we recommend adding a tablespoon of coconut oil once a week at most, to avoid the side effects that we will mention below.
If we use it topically, we recommend heating the coconut oil or purchasing a liquid solution. It will be enough to smear your fingers and apply it directly in the affected points, although we can also use a sprayer to spread the mixture throughout the coat without weighing it down..
Coconut oil contraindications
Although coconut oil has many benefits for dogs, it is also important to highlight some of the contraindications of this food.
We can stand out two studies in dogs on the consumption of semi-synthetic diets that included 16% hydrogenated coconut oil for 12-14 months. The results were worrying: this diet induced the accumulation of fat in the coronary and cerebral arteries. 
Regarding human consumption, the WHO and other organizations have warned about the high levels of saturated fat containing coconut oil, which can lead to a risk of cardiovascular disease, increased body weight or metabolic disorders. Although these side effects have been detected in people, it cannot be ruled out that they are the same that dogs can suffer, so moderate consumption of coconut oil is recommended. 
Can dogs eat coconut?
¿Have you ever wondered if dogs can eat coconut?? You should know that yes, Coconut is part of the list of recommended fruits for dogs, due to its high content of water, minerals (calcium, iron, phosphorus, iodine, magnesium ...), trace elements and vitamins. However, since it contains sugars, it is always advisable to moderate its consumption and offer little portions once or twice a week.
The properties of coconut for dogs
Apart from providing energy, it is also an antioxidant, remineralizing and hydrating fruit, and even helps improve blood pressure.  We can offer this food to our dog occasionally as a reward or include it in homemade diets.
Where to buy coconut oil?
We can find coconut oil in a wide variety of stores, including online stores. Even so, the most advisable thing if we are looking for a quality product is to go to a herbalism, ecological store or traditional apothecary. Likewise, we recommend that you review the composition to ensure that it is a quality product..
Is coconut oil good for cats?
¿You have cats? Then you should know that coconut oil too it's good for cats. They can also benefit from this product, either internally or externally, although it does not usually have as good acceptance as it happens with dogs when we offer it as food. It is best to mix it with wet food or include it during the preparation of a homemade recipe.
Also, coconut oil helps remove hairballs, something very positive, since they can become a serious health problem if they are not expelled.